Career > Work

Time to Give: Why you should volunteer!

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

There is one resource in this world that is invariably valuable and equally effective to provide: time. Money and donations can go a long way, but they are not accessible means of charity for everyone to give. Volunteering one’s time to a worthy cause, however, allows for direct involvement as well as the most effective form of care. 

Having volunteered in hospitals for the past few years, I had the immense privilege of providing service to people, but I also learned so much about myself and how deeply I enjoyed the work. I found myself looking forward to my shifts as a receptionist and loving interacting with the various patients who walked through those doors, all of different backgrounds and cultures. 

Eventually, after garnering more experience, I was moved to the Emergency Department where my work became more rigorous and consequently, more rewarding. When it came time to leave for college, I was truly sad to leave the connections I had found at that hospital. There was an ache in my chest, filling the part of me that I had left behind with these patients. 

Now, I wake up at 7:00 AM every Tuesday to walk to Michigan Medical and provide my services there, in search of filling the newly intrinsic desire I have to volunteer. Feeling like volunteering is a waste of time is a consequence of not having volunteered. After conducting an act of selflessness, each volunteer is left feeling a level of contentment that cannot be explained in any way other than the human need to give to others when you have more. 

In Ann Arbor itself, there are a variety of opportunities by organizations that one can pick in alignment with their individual goals and interests. With the urgent need for people in these positions also comes a necessity for compassion. Even more important is staying consistent with the work you do so that the resulting impact is that much more effective. Prospective volunteers should deeply research the positions they are applying for and make sure that they are the best fit for the areas they desire to serve. 

If you have a passion for teaching, there are programs that offer tutoring services to underprivileged children. With a love of books comes volunteering at a library, surrounded by the things you love the most. And if you just want to pet dogs–look out for your local animal shelter.

Time is the most valuable resource in your possession and it is important to remember that many don’t have as much as we do, and yet it may be the only thing we can give.

Archisha is a freshman at the University of Michigan pursuing a major in Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience. She spends her free time reading, writing, and curating hyper-specific Spotify playlists for fictional characters!