Tantalizing (Trick-or-)Treats for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Though the days of running door to door when the clock strikes eight o’clock on Halloween night might be over, that doesn’t mean that the holiday treats have to, too. Say goodbye to fun-size Sour Skittles and Hershey’s Chocolate bars in pillow cases, and say hello to DIY Halloween treat recipes that will put you in the mood for all things spooky.

Ghost S’mores Dip from Delish

Ingredients

• 3-4 packages of ghost Peeps
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • ¼ cup heavy cream, warmed
  • Graham crackers, for serving
  • Mini chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat over to 450°. In the bottom of a square baking dish, spread out chocolate chips and pour cream on top. Cover completely with a single layer of ghost Peeps. Place mini chocolate chips over yes and mouth. (The already-drawn faces will fade in the oven.)
  2. Bake until the chocolate has melted and the ghosts are golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
  3. Serve warm with graham crackers for dipping.­

“Poison” Candy Apples from Country Living

Ingredients

• 12 baby Granny Smith apples
  • 12 wooden candy apple sticks or dowels
  • 1 ½ cup sugar
  • ½ cup light corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon black gel paste food coloring

Directions

1. Wash and dry apples thoroughly. Place on a baking sheet and poke firmly with dowels. Line a second baking sheet with buttered parchment paper, and set aside.
  2. Place a candy thermometer in a medium saucepan and add sugar, ¾ cups water, and corn syrup, Place over medium heat; whisk until sugar is dissolved. Let the temperature rise without stirring until reaches the hard-crack mark at 310°. Remove pan from heat. Carefully remove thermometer, and add food coloring.
  3. Swirl pan to mix in the color completely. Swipe and twirl the apple through the candy, shake off excess, and place on buttered baking sheet. Repeat with remaining apples.

Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats from Big Bear’s Wife

Ingredients

• 3 table spoons butter
  • 10 ounces marshmallows
  • 6 cups rice krispie cereal
  • 10 drops yellow food coloring
  • 10 drops blue food coloring
  • Melted Chocolate/Candy Coating
  • Candy Eyes

Directions

1. Melt the butter in a large pot and add the marshmallows. Stir until they are all melted!
  2. Add in the food coloring and stir until it turns green.
  3. Add rice krispie cereal a little bit at a time and stir to combine.
  4. Press rice krispie cereal into a buttered 9 x 13 pan. Press flat and let cool.
  5. Let rice krispie treats sit for about 30 minutes.
  6. Remove from pan and cut into squares.
  7. Melt chocolate according the package directions. Dip the tops of the Rice Krispie Treats into the melted chocolate.
  8. Lay on a sheet of wax paper (or a plate).
  9. Use some of the melted chocolate and \”glue\” on the candy eyes.
  10. Fill a Ziploc bag with some of the melted chocolate, snip an end off and pipe a stitch mouth onto Frankenstein.
  11. Let the Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats sit for about 20 minutes undisturbed or until the chocolate had hardened.

Candy Corn Pudding Pops from No. 2 Pencil

Ingredients

• Ice Pop Maker and Popsicle Sticks
  • Small box (3.3 oz) Instant Jello Pudding – White Chocolate Flavor for white layer
  • Large Box (5.1 oz) Instant Jello Pudding – Vanilla Flavor for yellow and orange layer
  • Honey
  • Red and Yellow food coloring
  • 4 cups of milk

Directions

1. Prepare White Chocolate Jello by mixing pudding mix with 1 1/2 cups of cold milk. (Note: This is less milk than the box directions call for. This makes the pudding pops richer and creamier.)
  2. Stir in 1 teaspoon of honey and transfer pudding mixture to a large Ziploc bag.
  3. Prepare Vanilla Pudding by mixing pudding mix with 2 1/2 cups of cold milk. (Again, a little less than the box calls for.)
  4. Stir in two teaspoons of honey and divide pudding into two bowls.
  5. Color one bowl with yellow food coloring, adding just a few drops at a time. 
  6. Color the other bowl orange by combing yellow and red food coloring. 
  7. Transfer the yellow and orange pudding to a plastic baggie.
  8. Snip corner of Ziploc bags and squeeze pudding into popsicle molds. 
  9. Start with white layer and finish with yellow. 
  10. Tap mold on counter between layers to reduce air bubbles and level the layers.
  11. Freeze pudding pops 2-3 hours or overnight.

Pumpkin Cheesecake Truffle Mummies from Le Creme De La Crumb

Ingredients

• 1½ cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
  • ¼ cup canned pumpkin purée
  • ⅓ cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • ½ cup white chocolate chips
  • White chocolate chips or white dipping chocolate (like CandiQuik)
  • Red food coloring

Directions

1. In a large bowl combine gingersnap crumbs, pumpkin puree, graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cream cheese. Mix until smooth. Melt ½ cup white chocolate chips and mix into truffle mixture.
  2. Cover and chill until dough is solid enough to roll into balls – about 1 hour in the fridge or 30 minutes in the freezer. When cold enough, roll mixture into 12-14 balls. Place a toothpick in each ball.
  3. Melt remaining white chocolate chips or white dipping chocolate in a small bowl. Use toothpicks to dip each truffle ball into the white chocolate, being sure to coat all sides. Gently shake off excess chocolate. Place chocolate-covered truffle balls on a baking sheet or plate lined with wax paper, parchment paper, or foil. Chill for 3-5 minutes until chocolate hardens.
  4. Drizzle more white chocolate over the truffles. Soak the end of a Q-tip in red food coloring. Dap 2 dots of food coloring to make the mummy eyes. Handle carefully so you don’t wipe off the eyes. Store chilled in airtight container.

Images courtesy of: Le Creme de La Crumb, No. 2 Pencil, Big Bear’s Wife, Country Living, and Delish

Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!