This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Right when we return to school after thanksgiving break we are abruptly hit with the looming thought of finals. Finals can be considered one of the most stressful words in the human dictionary and often just thinking about the concept itself can activate a mini panic attack in any student.  After relishing in a relaxing break at home, our peace is soon disturbed upon the startling return to Ann Arbor. Whether your finals are early or late in December, the next few weeks predominantly consist of absolute crunch time and mark the last few moments we have left in the semester.

Typically, when choosing courses for each semester, the date of the final is a deciding factor, at least for me. A blinking red light flashes promptly before my eyes whenever “December 18-20th” appears as the date of a final. Any final that takes place in this interval of time is a definite no, as coming home early is essential to both my family and I due to the brief duration of our winter break. While other schools generally have a few weeks home to debrief from their grueling school work and draining schedules at college, students at the University of Michigan have less than two weeks to unwind at home. Consequently, a class with an early final date is an indispensable influence when weighing the pros and cons of each potential class that I will take.

Essentially, finals equals stress. During finals stress levels are at an all-time high for students, even higher than usual. Michigan students, even on their most relaxed day, still experience anxiety while balancing their homework, social lives, extracurricular activities, etc. With that being said, knowing the characteristic nature of Michigan students, this means that our stress levels are likely to be soaring through the roof.  While coping with the accumulating stress and the saddening thought of finishing off the semester, most students choose to hibernate in either a library or a study room. I personally prefer the quiet study room in Blau. Spending an ample amount of time in these study areas allows students to efficiently prepare for their tests with limited distractions, unless accompanied by a procrastinating or talkative friend of course. These areas are truly cherished during the early weeks of December and are safe zones for cripplingly strained students as we all prepare for cram study sessions with ample supplies of coffee providing an energizing boost of caffeine.

Although finals are typically viewed with dismay and dread, they also signify the comforting fact that winter break is almost here! So, even though finals week is a demanding period of time for any student, one can be slightly assuaged when daydreaming about their rapidly approaching break whether it is being spent at home or on a family vacation. These blissful, enthusing thoughts are the perfect remedy for any exceedingly taxing moment and truly allow a person to escape their arduous reality, even if it’s just for a second. Moreover, I always find it most valuable to get an early night sleep so that I can wake up with a fresh, well rested mind and hit the books early in the morning, beginning a new, productive work day. 

Therefore, regardless of how mentally, emotionally, or physically draining the preparation for finals may be, with time management, concentration, and patience, each assignment or test can be handled suitably. Each student has the ability to mitigate their stress with deep breaths, pacifying thoughts, and the prioritization of time, each of which are key resources when it comes to coping with the time consuming stress of finals. Don’t let stress take control over you, take control over it; empower yourself!

Image courtesy of Pinterest 

Currently a sophomore at the University of Michigan.
Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!