Summer Skin for this Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Vitamin C

We all know that vitamin C is good for your health from the improved heart quality to rejuvenating skin. In the winter, it can be difficult to find fresh fruits. It can be especially difficult on a college student’s budget. I recommend going to Trader Joe’s for apples and clementines because you can buy them in bags. Kroger has great kiwis, 5 for 3$, and 2 for $4 cantaloupes. And Meijer has really awesome pre-cut pineapple. 

Pretty Exfoliants 

It is dry in the winter and that can lead to irritated skin. These beautiful sugar cubes from Harper + Ari are exfoliating cubes to use in the shower. They come in so many different colors/flavors like Peach and Rose. They’re also a great gift (@ my friends during the holiday season). You can also find inexpensive exfoliants at Bath and Body Works, which usually has great deals on buying multiple products and getting some for free.

Face Masks

Like Sarah Hyland frequently says on her Instagram, facial masks are so important. Facial skin is much more sensitive than other parts of the body. It’s crucial to hydrate it at least 2 times a week with masks. I love the aromatherapy ones from florapy and Ulta has great deals on really cute animal masks from SNP, a Korean skincare brand. Using masks also requires you to stop moving so much and relax for a period of time, something we all need during finals szn.

Bulky Sweaters

Fall frat season is all about tight crop tops and pants. But winter offers a respite because it is just too cold. This is good for your skin because it gives it time to take a break from being exposed and squeezed. Hopefully, you buy sweaters that are soft and don’t irritate your skin. H&M has some great basics that are both cute for a day in or a night out. I also recommend going to Underground Printing or the MDen and looking in the clearance section for larger sized sweatshirts that usually don’t sell out. You can crop them or just wear them Ariana Grande – style with thigh-highs.

Chocolate

Surprisingly chocolate (dark chocolate specifically) has been found to improve your skin health. Chocolates with elevated flavanol cacao led to an increase in skin softness and improved blood circulation and hydration.[1] Trader Joe’s has a great selection of dark chocolates in particular a chocolate passport that has varied percentages of cocoa from different sources like Brazil or Switzerland. Chocolate can also make you feel warm inside for those days when it is bitterly cold.

Good “Just For You” Lingerie

Let’s be real, society always tells you to buy lingerie for others. But actually investing in quality lingerie is good for your skin and health. An ill-fitting bra can cause redness and irritation. Ill-fitting underwear can cause dry skin around your waist. Soft and comfortable fabrics are best like satin or cotton. Princess TamTam is a great French brand for quality lingerie if you have the ability to invest. Aerie is a size-inclusive brand that has great bralettes that are unpadded and they’re having a 10 for $35 sale on underwear.

Sara is a feature writer for Her Campus. She is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying French, Art History and Political Science. She is interested in international law and competes on the University of Michigan's Mock Trial team. In her free time, Sara explores Ann Arbor looking for new foods, specializing in tacos and noodles. She loves immersing herself in a good book from Literati and traveling to learn about different cultures. Sara loves the feeling of walking around a city with nowhere to go, headphones in, observing the hustle of everyday life. If Sara could do anything in the world, she woud be a travel and fashion writer exploring with a camera, a journal, and an empty stomach.