free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

The Struggle of Finding an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Inevitably as students we look forward to the future. We studied in middle school to gain skills for surviving in high school. We worked hard in high school in order to get into our dream college. Now at college, things get a little more confusing. We no longer have an easy “next step.” Some of us may be looking to work hard for med school, law school, or some sort of graduate degree. Others may end their education in college. Something no one told you about college was the importance of summer. Summer used to be a time to relax and hang with friends with no huge responsibilities. Since coming to college, summer seems to always be tied to the term “internship.” We are overwhelmed with schoolwork, extracurricular activities, and the attempt to spend these four yours having the best time, yet now we have to find time for finding a summer internship. It seems as though, especially at this time, everyone around you is figuring out their plans. Ultimately, a magical internship won’t just find its way to you. There will be a level of effort to getting your summer internship. But it is not impossible. There are many less obvious ways to help the process than just filling out an application and clicking submit. 

Here are some tips/reminders for moving forward in the process (regardless of where you are): 

–    If you are just starting out and learning phrases like “cover letter,” try out this one-credit pass/fail course titled ALA125, “How to Position Yourself for a Successful Internship.” 

–    Message professionals on LinkedIn. You can search a company and position or a company and University of Michigan. Many professionals remember the time when they were in our position. I’ve had countless conversations with professionals in different fields who were still able to give me helpful advice in this process. 

–    Join clubs on campus (even if you feel you have no time!). There are countless organizations on campus whose main goal is to help students network and introduce them to various opportunities that will help their future. Some of these clubs have mentorship programs (with current students and alumni). The value of networking with your peers is larger than you think. We all may be students here but if you are talking to someone a year older than you, they most likely will be working while you are here stressing about a job. Those who are just starting out can be very valuable to helping you discover your path and connect you to their organizations. A common misconception is that you can only network with those established in their careers. Even someone a year older can be the difference between your resume being skimmed to it standing out. 

–    If you stalk professionals on LinkedIn (or any other career networking site), you commonly see that their few years spent out of college were at different organizations and companies. There is some sort of pressure that where you work summer after junior year decides where you will after graduation. This misconception adds unnecessary stress to a stressful situation. No matter where you work, you will learn something. Even if you learn that what you are doing isn’t what your goal is for the future. By knowing what you don’t want to do, you can be more confident moving forward. You also have the ability to talk to future employers about these experiences and better articulate what you are looking for in a job. 

–    Breathe! So many people are in the same boat as you. More importantly, so many people were in your same boat and are so successful where they are now.  You may get an internship you hate, or you may get an internship you love. Regardless, you will learn skills and tools to take you to the next step in your career.   

Image Credit: Nextavenue

My name is Sasha Mireskandari, and I am a current sophomore at the University of Michigan.
I'm Melanie Stamelman, a junior at the University of Michigan. I am the Campus Correspondent of UMich's chapter of Her Campus and am incredibly passionate about lifestyle journalism.  I follow the news and lifestyle trends, and am a self-proclaimed Whole Foods, spin obsessed wacko.  Thanks for reading xoxo.