IMG 4110jpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
IMG 4110jpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Genessee Floressantos

Reflecting On What Could Have Been

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

It is a weird feeling to be nostalgic for a time you weren’t even alive for. I look through my parents’ photo albums showcasing their college memories and long for an experience that has not been my own. The old photos of my dad drinking from a keg at his fraternity seem so unfamiliar, as the thought of sipping out of someone’s drink today makes me shudder. 

It saddens me that COVID-19 took away almost two years of my college experience. I never thought that sitting in a lecture hall would be my most fervent wish. 

However, while my college experience so far has not been what you see in the movies, I am still incredibly lucky to have a college experience at all. I keep reminding myself that I am living in a unique time full of scientific breakthroughs. I am privileged enough to gain my education through a screen, and though it is not ideal, I am living in what my future kids will read about in their history books. 

COVID
Photo by Edwin Hooper from Unsplash
Life is slowly but surely heading back to normal. If anything, this pandemic has made me more appreciative of the little things in life — no matter how cliche that may be. I have gotten outside more and have become grateful for my daily dose of vitamin D. Spending days locked in my house with my siblings turned into some of my greatest memories of the last year.

Now, I have to remind myself and my readers: it is okay that college so far has been a whirlwind and it is okay to long for life before COVID. It is okay to feel burnt out from staring at a screen and to yearn for socialization. I am not going to sugarcoat it: life in the pandemic has been difficult. However, we have made it a whole year since the world went on lockdown. 

Edward Jenner via Pexels
We must cherish the very fact that we get to see another day. The best is yet to come and we have so much life left to live. I mean, nobody besides college kids today can say that they have to take a proctored exam over Zoom. 

The picture-perfect college experience seems overrated anyway. At least ours has been full of surprises. 

Curiosity and creativity are the building blocks of my personality. Intrigued by the power of words, my interests lie at the intersection of marketing, fashion, and writing. When I work with others in the future, I want to be the person that I would be looking for as a leader. My strong interpersonal skills in conjunction with my academics will guide me on the track to not only become the mentor I seek, but also to utilize my language and imagination in order to create and ultimately inspire others to use theirs.