Podcast Junkie Starter Kit: 5 Podcasts for the College Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Podcasts are a GAME CHANGER. Now, I’m probably late to the game, but I started listening to podcasts in summer 2016, when I could no longer stand the local radio stations where I was interning and needed a place for my ears to venture during my commutes to work every day. Well, it didn’t take me very long to become a bona-fide junkie. Walking to class? Podcast. Doing my makeup? Podcast. Tailgaiting? I would say ‘podcast’ but like..ok maybe’s that’s testing the boundaries a little. If you’re new to podcasts, here’s a list of my personal favorites to help kickstart your addiction.

1. This American Life:  

This American Life is probably one of the most well-known podcasts out there. It’s produced by the company WBEZ Chicago, and hosted by Ira Glass, one of the most famous public radio personalities in the country.  This American Life is a great starter podcasts because it has a pretty consistent and predictable format- it’s typically a 60 minute journalistic non-fiction piece, in which the show’s personalities explore a societally relevant issue or concept in depth through interviews, case studies, essays, etc. It’s engaging, easy to follow, and provides perspective on a lot of important of timely, topical issues.

2. Mind, Body Musings:

If you’ve ever struggled with your body image or disordered thoughts/behaviors around food, or wish you could live free from constant pressures surrounding diet and exercise, Mind Body Musings is the podcast for you! It’s hosted by Maddy Moon, a former fitness model turned life-coach who now dedicates her life to helping clients achieve a freedom mindset in all aspects of life. I cannot put into words how much Maddy has inspired me- she continually interviews guests from all sorts of backgrounds who have achieved freedom in their lifes, guests with incredible stories of struggle, strength, and determination. Her podcast has inspired me to work on my confidence & body image and to strive for freedom in every aspect of my life.

3. Guys we f@#cked:

Known as the anti slut-shaming Podcast, Guys we F@#cked is hosted by New York Based comedians Corinne Fisher and Krystina Hutchinson. Their mission? Stand at the forefront of a new revolution, where women are not ashamed of their sexuality and flaunt it as an asset rather than hide it. The podcast started off by the two hostesses interviewing one man they’ve slept with each week-but it morphed into a much more multifaceted program where they discuss all sorts of gender issues, not specific to sex. Many of the guests are fellow commedians, which makes for quick-witted dialogue and apt social commentary. Each episode is about 2 hours long, so I love listening to this podcast when I travel! Especially because you can still listen to podcasts on airplane mode ;)

4. My Favorite Murder:

Were you that kid who was always fascinated with crime stories, SVU, and urban legends? You’ll love this podcast. It’s another one hosted by a female comedienne duo Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstack , and has amassed somewhat of a cult following. Both hosts tell eachother their favorite murder stories, and share stories of hometown crime submitted by friends, family, and fans. Spooky and gripping, My favorite murder is a great podcast to listen to when you want to escape from mundane tasks and hear thrilling (though sometime gruesome, stories.) However, I would not recommend listening to this if you’re walking home from class alone.

5. The Good Life Project

This podcast is the radio segment of the Good Life Project, Hosted by author/ Good Life Project founder Jonathan Fields. Good Life Project is a community of people who are on a ‘quest to help eachother live more meaningful, connected, and vital lives. No sleepwalking, no fluff, no delusion or confusions.’ There have been many guests on this show who are highly regarded as coaches, creators, spiritual teachers, and innovators. Need some inspiration to start living with more intention? This podcast is definitely for you.  

I hope that you’ll give some of these a listen if you haven’t heard of them before! Hopefully, you’ll find them entertaining and enlightening. It’s never too late to embrace your inner podcast nerd.

Sarah Barnitt is a senior at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. She's an avid fan of early bedtimes, pink wine, barre classes, and embracing her inner Elle Woods.