Natalie Zimmerman: Wolverine Support Network

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Year: Sophomore

Major: Political Science and International Studies

Hometown: Ann Arbor, MI

Fun Fact: She has perfect pitch!

Her Campus: How would you describe Wolverine Support Network?

Natalie Zimmerman: Wolverine Support Network is a peer-to-peer organization where everybody comes together once a week. You meet with a group of about ten people, and you just chat about things in your life. You have people there to boost you up when you’ve reached a high and to support you when you’re at a low. It’s really awesome to have somebody there to share all of your experiences with without any judgment.

HC: What’s your role?

NZ: I am a group leader. Outside of facilitating discussions, it involves going to some extra meetings, which are really fun and super informative. As a leader, you’re not a therapist, but you do have some background training in things like sexual assault outcry, which is really a important life skill. We also do a lot with emotion identifying, which I honestly didn’t realize how hard it was. We have pretty extensive background training.

HC: How has Wolverine Support Network helped you?

NZ: It has helped me to become a better listener. I feel like sometimes I’m one of those people where I’m like “I want to interrupt, and I want to interact with you,” but I feel like I’ve become a better listener. I’m able to listen to what people say, process it, and give them feedback that’s not based on me, but is based on what they said. I think Wolverine Support Network is awesome because someone is always there who is going to listen and respond to you about you–not about themselves.

HC: What is your favorite part of Wolverine Support Network?

NZ: My favorite part is probably the weekly meetings. I have a place where I can go, and I know it doesn’t matter what else you’re involved in, or who you are, or what your background is, or if you just had the worst day ever. Everyone there is genuinely there for you, and they genuinely care. When someone asks you, “How are you?” You can say, “You know what, I’ve had a really crappy day today.” You don’t have to cover it up with “Oh, I’m good. I’m fine.” You can just be yourself and talk about what’s going on.

HC: Why do you think it’s important to have conversations about mental health?

NZ: Recently, on campus, I think this is something that a lot of people have been talking about. There was a recent death of a student in Bursley. Wolverine Support Network, as a whole, it really hit a lot of us hard because we realized that as much as we do, we couldn’t reach everybody. Unfortunately, it’s this motivating factor that we need to reach out to people and talk to more people more often, and I think that by opening up that dialogue, amongst our friends and amongst our own networks, it will eventually reach everybody. It’s eventually going to help people to be able to come up to someone and say, “I need help. I’m struggling.”

HC: How can our readers get involved in Wolverine Support Network?

NZ: They can sign up for a group! The awesome thing about group is that you can tailor it to your schedule. If you only have specific times free, there’s likely a group you can go to. You don’t have to commit to a meeting at a time that’s inconvenient. It’s at whatever time works for you, so it really tailors itself to everyone on campus.

HC: What else are you involved with on campus?

NZ: I’m a Dancer Engagement Coordinator for Dance Marathon. I also tutor at the hospital, which is really fun— I recommend it to everyone. I’m involved in CSG outside of Wolverine Support Network, and I work in the museum— come take a tour with me! I’m also in Greek life!