rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Myth of “Having It All Together”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

They call it “Winter Garden Syndrome”; it’s the sense that as soon as you walk into Ross, you should be headed to an interview with a top company, a recruiting event, or really just doing something impressive. I’ve definitely fallen victim to comparing myself to everyone around me. Let me just say, it’s not worth it. Yes, it’s easier said than done to simply stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, but for your own sanity, please try. Last year, I put so much pressure on myself to figure out what I’m doing with my life and find an internship and join all these competitive clubs. My favorite things I did last year ended up being the ones I didn’t have to apply to, and my summer plans worked out just fine even though I wasn’t sure what I was doing until after spring break.

When everyone around you seems to be like “go, go, go” it makes you want to do the same. And while that can be helpful in motivating you, there is a point where it becomes destructive. It will add so much unnecessary stress to your life. Why add more when college is already so stressful? You should never need to justify taking some time to yourself when everyone needs a break once in awhile. Locking yourself in a room and studying and filling out various applications is not helpful and will just make you burn out faster.

I came to college and was shocked at how competitive everything was. It felt like everyone was shouting their accomplishments, and I had little to add to the conversation. This became worse when I applied to and was rejected from a club. Since when do you have to apply to be in clubs?! This was honestly a foreign concept for me. The competition always seems to be present, no matter what time of year. Unfortunately, I can’t say that sophomore year is less competitive than freshman year. In fact, it may even be worse. Now, I remind myself more that I do deserve to be here and need to stop paying attention to what everyone else is doing. The only people you hear are the ones who have great things to say, and though it may seem like no one else is struggling, I can promise you aren’t alone. So stop putting so much pressure on yourself to have amazing summer plans and be involved in all the best clubs. Join things you want to. Major in what you want to. Do what you want to.