Mattie Ellis: Active Minds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Name: Mattie Ellis

Major: Communications Studies

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Basking Ridge, NJ

Fun Fact: I’ve been skydiving in Australia! 

Her Campus: What is Active Minds at the University of Michigan?

Mattie Ellis: Active Minds at the University of Michigan is a chapter of Active Minds Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting mental wellness on college campuses. As a chapter, we are driven by three key initiatives. First, we aim to increase the awareness of mental health at the University of Michigan. Second, we strive to remove the stigma attached to mental illness by encouraging open dialogue about mental health among individuals affected by mental illness, as well as their allies. Third, we help connect students to on-campus mental wellness resources. Overall, Active Minds at the University of Michigan is a group wholeheartedly dedicated to all things surrounding mental health.

HC: Why did you first get involved with Active Minds and what is your role within the organization?

ME: I first joined Active Minds at the University of Michigan at the start of my second semester during my freshman year. I was drawn to the organization for a series of reasons, but it was primarily because of my strong belief that mental health should be something that is discussed, not feared. After serving on the Events Planning Committee my freshmen year, I am now serving on the Executive Board as the Fundraising Chair.

HC: What kind of events and programs do you organize in order to raise mental health awareness on campus?

ME: We host a variety of events from Diag Days, to panhel and speaker events, and even bake sales. I would say our biggest event, so far, has been Send Silence Packing. Send Silence Packing was a display of 1,100 backpacks dispersed across the University of Michigan’s Diag. Each bag represents the number of US college students that die by suicide each year. Needless to say, Send Silence Packing had a profound impact on our campus, and in my opinion, it was an incredible step toward encouraging mental health awareness. We also organized a group to participate in the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention’s Out of the Darkness Walk in Ann Arbor this past fall. We ended up fundraising $2,280 for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and met tons of great people from surrounding communities. We are also currently running a campaign to encourage students to take the Kognito Challenge. It’s a free, 30-minute, online activity that takes you through a series of mental wellness scenarios and guides you through potential ways to react to a friend who is in mental distress. Anyone is welcome to participate!

(See https://www.facebook.com/events/1693943827510480/ OR http://www.activeminds.org/gatekeeper-training-to-prevent-campus-suicide)

HC: In light of recent events on campus, what advice would you give to students who might be struggling with mental health issues?

ME: First and foremost, the University of Michigan has an extensive amount of resources for students struggling with mental wellness. From counseling and psychological services to the Wolverine Support Network (see http://www.campusmindworks.org/ for more), there is a variety of options. On a more personal note, I think we often forget how impactful our words and our actions can be. That being said, I think it’s so important for every individual to recognize their responsibility to take care of their own mental health, while also respecting the mental health of their peers. We are all privileged to attend such an incredible university, and in my opinion, we owe it to one another, and to ourselves, to make our times here happy and healthy ones.

HC: Anything else you’d like to add?

ME: I want to mention that our chapter has only been on campus for two years and even as a new organization, we have been able to accomplish so much. Being able to help develop this Active Minds chapter and work with such incredible students, faculty members, and other mental health advocates is something I am forever grateful for. Active Minds has provided me with a new perspective on the college experience, hundreds of new friends, and an opportunity to work for something that I am so passionate about. Active Minds will always hold a very special place in my heart, and I cannot wait to see what the organization will do in years to come! Also, anyone and everyone is welcome to join!

Follow this link to the Active Minds fundraising page, if you’d like to donate: http://www.myactiveminds.org/site/TR?fr_id=1521&pg=entry