Maize and Boo!: Costume Ideas for Michigan Wolverines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The biggest week of the year is finally here: the MSU v. UMich football game. Like every year, the rival schools will battle it out for the infamous Paul Bunyan trophy. This year, rivalry week precedes Halloweekend so here are some costume ideas for Wolverines to show their (ghoul) spirit all seven days of the week.

Football Player

Fish out your favorite jersey or stop by the MDen for this costume. Spice it up with an old football vest, some black face paint, and a football.

Wolverine

Students can come as they are! Or, if you’re into puns, consider Michigan-izing Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine. Make the claws (bones?) maize and blue or deck yourself out in Michigan gear, in addition to wearing the traditional costume.

REggie The Campus COrgi

Rest in peace, the campus legend who died earlier this year. To revive his memory, Michigan students can wear their favorite University of Michigan shirt and buy a pair of dog ears. To make your costume clear, a “Reggie” name tag wouldn’t hurt.

Slippery Rock Fan

It’s no secret that the University of Michigan is a Slippery Rock school. Similar to the Michigan Fan costume, this costume features all the Slippery Rock gear you can get your hands on!

(Distressed) Michigan Fan

This one is easy—just roll up in your game day attire or your favorite tailgating outfit. If you’re truly a fan of University of Michigan athletics, this costume only requires you to bring the same energy to your Halloween parties as you do to all of your favorite sports events.

If you remember the tragic loss of the Michigan v. Michigan State game in 2015, you can elevate this costume by recreating the iconic look of the infamous “distressed Michigan Fan” meme.

Bagely

One of the most iconic representatives of culture at the University of Michigan is Bagely, the Welcome Wednesdays mascot, sponsored by the Alumni Association. If you have access to a giant bagel costume, or just some extra time on your hands, any UMich student will recognize a Bagely costume anywhere. Just keep in mind that nothing competes with the real thing.

Anna is a student at the University of Michigan pursuing a dual-degree in English and Creative Writing and Literature with a minor in Polish Language, Literature, and Culture. She is the Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus UMich chapter.