This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

At the recent anniversary celebrating the end of World War 1 in Paris on November 10th2018, President Trump neglected to visit the memorials of Americans who had died in the war due to some rain. This offers a stark example of the priorities of a presidency buoyed by nationalist rhetoric seeking to divide the country among the “worthy” and the “unworthy,” “patriots” and “traitors.” History has shown us time and again that division and walls are ever present as we construct and reconstruct society. Along with these walls are those that work tirelessly to pull them down and encourage open dialogue on equal grounds. I ask that, in those cold moments under the shadow of a growing wall, you remember those that came before you who proved that no wall can withstand the persistence of an enduring storm. 

Listen, See, Ignore

I do not bend 

to walls that have 

neither doors 

nor windows.

Freedom is the cost of life

No chance of escape allows fear to steal,

piece by piece,

the liberty of a breeze

and the blessing of a pure view.

Fighting for those stolen,

leads to holes in a faceless wall,

Eyes for the knowledge trapped inside.

The wall will never break down.

Not all the new eyes will see.

Many of us at this wall shout, preach, deride

but our voices, 

jumbled like those of Babylon,

save few.

Workers on the wall 

fill the holes and whisper to the eyes they blind,

“I was once like you.

Soon you too will realize

the beauty and serenity 

the wall offers you.”

If ever the oppressed seek to oppress others;

the wall will persist. 

Image courtesy of madvix.com

Sara is a feature writer for Her Campus. She is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying French, Art History and Political Science. She is interested in international law and competes on the University of Michigan's Mock Trial team. In her free time, Sara explores Ann Arbor looking for new foods, specializing in tacos and noodles. She loves immersing herself in a good book from Literati and traveling to learn about different cultures. Sara loves the feeling of walking around a city with nowhere to go, headphones in, observing the hustle of everyday life. If Sara could do anything in the world, she woud be a travel and fashion writer exploring with a camera, a journal, and an empty stomach.