Life > Experiences

It’s Time We Talk About End-of-Semester Burnout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

All college students know, or are getting to know, the ever-present feeling of exhaustion during the month of April. Social lives are winding down, classes are ramping up, everyone is tired, and no one wants to admit they are a little sick of a place they love so much. It’s a bittersweet feeling, and part of it is burnout.

Burnout, by definition, is an extended period of stress and fatigue caused by various factors in one’s life. In college, burnout most often takes the form of disinterest in academics or feeling less desire to socialize and maintain friendships. Burnout is more than just being overwhelmed. It’s feeling unmotivated and unable to envision when that motivation will ever appear. Some people who face burnout might have trouble sleeping, eating, and responding to calls, emails, and text messages. Whether it manifests in increased irritability, increased anxiety a loss of focus, or a loss of creativity, burnout is real. 

While burnout can appear at all times of the year, it frequently happens during the end of school. After working hard for an entire year, it’s hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. By the time April rolls around, it’s common to feel so exhausted that you can’t put full effort into finals. With burnout, it’s hard to appreciate the end of the year and many people just want to go home.

Burnout, especially at the end of the year, is normal and it’s time we talk about it. Wanting the school year to end doesn’t mean you don’t like college. You are no less of a Wolverine because you are ready to go home. Just like with anything you love, there are times you need a break. It’s okay to feel exhausted. It’s okay to feel unmotivated. Don’t be too hard on yourself because you are not in this alone.

There’s no golden ticket to curing burnout, but there are a few tips that might help. First, don’t overwork or push yourself. Work with your burnout, not against it. Amidst the chaos of finals, take a few moments for yourself. Go on a walk, have lunch with a friend, or explore a new spot on campus. Even if you want to head home and escape the burnout, try to get some rest and enjoy your last few days on campus.

Like many mental health subjects, burnout is unfortunately not often discussed. It’s time we normalize it. Especially in college where we often feel pressured to be productive at all hours of the day, we need to start giving ourselves a break. In the midst of finals, we need to start reminding ourselves that it’s okay to feel burnout or ready to leave. You still love college. And like anything you love, there are times when you need to let go.

Carly Brechner is a UMich sophomore from Philadelphia studying Communications and Media. When she isn't reading or writing, she is gossiping about pop culture and exploring all that Ann Arbor has to offer.