It’s supposed to be the best 4 years of your life…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

It’s supposed to be the best 4 years of your life. You are supposed to never want it to end and never want to go home. But the truth is, that it is not what you thought it would be. Home is safe. You have your family, you have your pets, and most importantly, you have your bed (which no other bed can ever compare to). With the constant cold and gloomy weather coupled with the never-ending stress of school work, it is easy to wish you could just forget your responsibilities, teleport yourself back home, and get back into your safety net. When that feeling overcomes you, it’s easy to feel sad, stuck, and alone. Yes, when you move to a new place, it is supposed to become your new home. Yet, sometimes it feels like nothing on campus will ever be as “home-y” or comfortable as the original. But the truth is that you are not alone, and the number of people that are also struggling with homesickness is way larger than you can imagine. There is no magic pill to make this type of illness go away. You may not be able to control mother nature or magically end up sleeping in your bed at home, but there are some ways to help deal with homesickness in order to have a more enjoyable time at school, because before you know it, you will be home and wonder how it all went by so fast.

Now, no place may ever perfectly mimic the feeling you get when you walk back and crawl into the bliss that is your childhood home; however, there are places on campus where you can relax, unwind, and feel peaceful admist the craziness of the college experience.  

The Arb: With free admission, the Nichols Arboretum is your round-the-clock natural care service provider. Providing unique landscapes and serenity this environmental space is perfect for endless exploration as well as unique events such as theatrical performances and art exhibits. While the buildup of slush and sleet on your front porch is nothing spectacular, the mounds of luscious white snow surrounding the beautiful gardens in the Arb is quite the sight. You are sure find peace through the grounds, and clarity and comfort in your thoughts.

Common Cup:

Located on Washtenaw, just a 10-minute walk from the Shapiro Undergraduate Library, Common Cup is an underrated coffee shop with authentic vibes and high-quality coffee (at a significantly lower price than the average Starbucks drink). Did I mention that it is also a non-profit? By purchasing a cup from this establishment, you are also benefiting the community.

Cat Café: The squirrels on the Diag and occasional run-in with a dog on a walk are always a great but fleeting moment! But a calming study environment with cats roaming around, coffee ready to serve, and Wi-Fi available… now that is something else. Cat Café is highly function as a study space, somewhere to hang out with friends or even catch up on your Netflix series, all while being surrounded by some furry company. Your visit doesn’t need to consist of only temporary relationships with the animals however, for the cats surrounding you are also up for adoption.

Palmer Commons: This building may seem large and overwhelming but provides multiple spaces with comfortable couches and well-lit fireplaces. You can find this gorgeous community center at the intersection of Central and Medical Campuses. So, next time you are texting your friend to meet up, you can ditch the basic “Should we go to Ugli or Hatcher?” and suggest lounging by the fire at one of the study nooks located on the 3rd through 6th floors.

PSA: One major factor contributing to homesickness is feeling stuck.

Stuck in this cold weather. Stuck in your daily routine. 

Stuck in places where you don’t feel at home. Instead of just accepting this “stuck-ness” as just being the way it is, take action and explore places on campus that can provide comfort and calmness during a time of stress. You will eventually find your niche in this little bubble of a world that is the university campus.

Images courtesy of wemu.org, commoncupcoffee.com, michigan.org/property/tiny-lions-cat-cafe, and palmercommons.umich.edu

My name is Sasha Mireskandari, and I am a current sophomore at the University of Michigan.