Style > Beauty

IS CHAPSTICK WORTH THE CHAPPED LIPS?

Updated Published

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

We all have things we dislike. Things that really irk us. Things that make us say “grr”. My biggest enemy? Chapped lips. Nothing bothers me more than having chapped lips. In Ann Arbor, Michigan, we battle the cold constantly, which steals the hydration from everyone’s skin. Personally, I can deal with dry skin, but something about my lips feeling tight from the lack of hydration gets under my skin. For years, I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect fix for all my chapped lips needs. I’ve tried it all, & here are my personal top pick discussions. 

From my least favorite to my new obsession, here’s my top 5…

Any Chapstick Known to Man

For years, I loved Chapstick but never felt satisfied with them. I always heard the tale that chapstick was made to keep you yearning for more. After using, there were certain brands that made me believe that thought. They did nothing to help long term, yet I would always have one handy. Eventually, I got tired of using chapsticks & moved to balms/the liquid forms. Not to mention, chapstick clumped up & made my lips look dry & crusty. I was always cautious about whether or not I had a white line of old chapstick forming on my lips. Love moisturized lips, but no thanks to chapsticks.

Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask

Laneige was another short trending item that I got convinced into buying because my older sister swore I would probably like it. It was convincing enough for me. When I stayed the night at her college apartment, I had the opportunity to test it out. For the first few uses I was intrigued, so I thought I’d try it out long term & purchase it myself. 

Using the Laneige Lip mask only lasted a few weeks before I felt like the hype wasn’t there. It didn’t hydrate, & it didn’t impress me. I never finished it, & ended up giving it away to a friend who didn’t rave much about it past “I’ve heard about this!”

Overall, I wouldn’t give it much more thought. It was a quick no from me.

Tripeptide Plumping Lip Balm

I don’t know if the InkyList plumping lip balm truly gives a plumped lip effect, but I liked using it. Weirdly enough, the lip balm left an odd taste, & when I needed to reapply, my lips felt slightly dry – like they needed to peel & crack. I don’t feel that it was noticeably helpful in anyway, & I honestly wouldn’t buy it again. It’s not horrible, & I like it. I’m still using it every now & then! However, I believe you’re safer spending less money on a tube of Aquaphor.

Aquaphor

I was extremely against all things Aquaphor. In my mind, the hype surrounding it was too much to be real. When something is trending, I tend to steer clear. It usually means it’s popular for a second & then everyone comes to the realization it’s simply just not that great. I held out for a long time, it helped when I’d see someone yank out of their bag the large Aquaphor stick & rub it all over their lips. It wasn’t until I was desperately looking for something to cure dry lips & my roommate simply handed me the packet saying “Just do it.”

From the beginning, I genuinely liked Aquaphor. I constantly had it on me & I was hooked.

Pros? It definitely does what it’s supposed to do & hydrates my lips. It stayed on for a long time & passed the durability test. Cons? It felt like it sat on top of my lip, not necessarily soaking in & giving a long-lasting hydrated feeling. 

Out of all generic store bought chapsticks, if you can even consider this chapstick, it would be the one I would grab off of the shelf. Besides the fact that I would constantly lose it, I trust Aquaphor a little more now & completely understand the hype it has. For a moment, I was an Aquaphor girly & couldn’t get enough of it.

Rhode Peptide Lip Treatment

My holy grail. I will forever swear by the Rhode peptide lip treatment. I didn’t have high hopes for trying Rhode since I rarely trust celebrity products. I hopped on the Rhode bandwagon after my sister’s lips were noticeably looking livelier & plumper than usual. When complimented, she gave all the credit to this little tube. After the first two days, I got my grabby little fingers on my own Rhode lip treatment & I was hooked. The product was long-lasting & extremely hydrating. It’s the first lip balm, chapstick, gloss, or whatever you’d like to call it that really feels like it hydrates my lips & stays that way for a long-time.

This is the best lip balm I’ve used, & I swear by it. I will never stop buying this product, & I would happily spend every penny I own on more of this.

Live, laugh, love Rhode.

Meet Carly Boccia, a retired college athlete turned aspiring plant mom. Carly is a junior at the University of Michigan studying psychology and English. She's worked in social media content creation and graphic design for 4 years while attending college. Before settling in Michigan for school, Carly has moved between Southern California and Ohio her entire life. She has a plethora of passions from sports to traveling.