Wellness > Health

Is Celsius Sending People to the ER?

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

As sleep-deprived, stressed out-of-our-mind college students, the 200mg caffeine-packed Celsius is a go-to for many. But as the buzz is sought after like the last drop of an elixir, a chill contender named Celsius is causing a stir—or, more accurately, disrupting some heartbeats.  

If you’re a fitness junkie, a night owl, or just need a little pick-me-up throughout the day, theoretically, Celsius is right up your alley. But here’s the twist in the story—or the twist-off cap, if you will. Reports have been trickling in, and there are anecdotes of people who regularly drank Celsius getting sent straight to the ER. 

So, what’s the deal? It all boils down to what’s bubbling inside the can: a concoction of caffeine, taurine, ginger, and an array of B vitamins. It’s not just a sip; it’s a symphony of stimulants. But as with any symphony, too many instruments playing too loudly can turn the music into a cacophony. For some, that’s exactly what happens in their bodies. 

Too much, and some find that their hearts start racing, and nerves start jittering. There have been instances of Celsius zealots—most of whom were looking for that athletic edge or an all-nighter study session—ending up lying in hospital beds. 

Some people have had worrying side effects from drinking Celsius, like their hearts beating way too fast, feeling dizzy, or even having chest pains. These are red flags that you might be overdoing it. But let’s be clear: not everyone who has had a Celsius ends up feeling this way. Many people can enjoy it with no problems. The thing is, it’s a little reminder for us to think about what we’re putting into our bodies. 

Even though Celsius makes claims about being sugar-free, without preservatives, and burning calories, these drinks aren’t for everyone. Everyone’s body reacts differently—what pumps up one person might send another to the emergency room. 

Here’s a straight-up bit of advice: pay attention to how your body responds, know when enough is enough, and don’t forget that sometimes the best choice is the simplest one, like just drinking water. If you like Celsius or any other kind of energy drink, just be careful. Stay safe and consider saving Celsius for those times when you really need an energy boost. In the end, being healthy is the best way to stay in style, especially when it means you can avoid a trip to the hospital. 

Artist, student, writer and Altoid chewer