This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

If you’ve seen The Joker, it was intense, it was gory, it was insane. However, Joaquin Phoenix delved deeper into the mind of The Joker than I ever anticipated and it was absolutely phenomenal. Although I’m a few months late to the game, I, too, walked out of the theatre with one of those “Woah, what did I just watch?!” moments. The Joker was not well-received by all, but as a college student, I thought that it portrayed very relevant aspects of mental health and illness that are applicable to many students on campus. Although The Joker was an intense, deep, dramatized portrayal of mental illness, it is an important one. Reflecting on the film a few days later, I’m wondering why this movie is not talked about more. As a psychology major, I psycho-analyzed the entire duration of the movie and recognized that there is still much stigma and uncertainty in how to approach mental illness on screen.

Especially with the demands of college, the balance of obtaining optimal mental health is an on-going struggle. As said in Joker, we’re perpetually expected to appear happy even if we are not. We’re expected to put on a facade towards those around us and retreat when we don’t feel our best self. There are so many lofty expectations to appear happy, and this exact dichotomy that was emphasized by The Joker. “Don’t forget to smile” was a prevalent theme throughout the movie, and I am led to believe that we’re often told the same thing everyday. As the Joker leaves ruthlessly from his place of work, the last thing he does before exiting is cross off the “forget” and “to” from the sign hanging on the wall. “Don’t Smile” became a very tangible feeling and reality for the character, and I think that this needs to be acknowledged more as a feeling that many experience in everyday life.

Deep delves into the traumatic brain damage, childhood trauma, and abuse that the Joker endured, bring to life the phenomenons that several individuals undergo but never express: trauma is a very real thing. However, just as it is okay to be happy, it is equally valid to be unhappy and to not put on the same mask as The Joker did.

On an acting level, Phoenix perfectly portrayed what it was like to be out of control and manic, while also exhibiting the sensitivity an individual can have. With a lack of support his entire life, being ridiculed, and turning to violence, it became much clearer why The Joker partook in the antics he did. As said before, although extreme and fictitious, the film encapsulates the importance of having a support system and recognizing that trauma of any kind does not define an individual and is sometimes subconscious.​

Especially in college, I’ve experienced immense ups and downs with my mental health – sometimes varying depending on the day, and it can be a whirlwind. With so many life events and changes occurring simultaneously, it would be a lie for me to say that I have adjusted gracefully to the university lifestyle. However, something else I’ve noticed is that mental health is not talked about nearly as much as it should be. As a result, here are 3 tips to check-in with yourself and your mental health.

1.  Like a parent might ask a child, ask yourself, “What do you need?” This sounds trivial, I know, but so many times we forget to check in with ourselves until the feeling of being overwhelmed sets in. Throughout the day, whenever I’ve “checked in” with myself asking, “What do I need?” I’ve always felt so much better. Listening to yourself can be difficult, but for me, it usually involves taking a nap, getting food, calling family or friends, or going for a walk.

2. Take time for you!! I am a junior now, but freshman year, I NEVER took time for myself – ever. I was always bending over backwards for others, and after a while, it caught up to me. Now, I make sure to work out, write, read, etc., and it has made such a difference in the way I see myself. Also, self-love is the best kind of love albeit one of the most difficult kinds of loves to practice.

3.  Knowing when to stop I know what I’m about to say is the antithesis of college, BUT sometimes closing the books is just as important as opening them. There comes a time when it is important to cut it on the studying and to take time for yourself to reset. I know it is easier said than done, but at the end of the day, mental health is so much more important than a grade on a transcript.

SOURCES  

https://www.nme.com/news/film/now-iconic-joker-steps-bronx-becoming-tourist-attraction-2559253 https://pixabay.com/images/search/psychology/ https://pixabay.com/vectors/mental-illness-anxiety-depressed-4364348/

Hi I'm Victoria, and I am currently a junior at the University of Michigan! I am from Petoskey, MI and I am majoring in psychology. A fun fact about me is that I am a triplet!