How to Succeed as a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I transferred from University of Miami to University of Michigan in the fall of my sophomore year. Yes, I’m aware that I chose to leave the sunny Floridian weather to attend school in the tundra of Ann Arbor. Despite the fact that I do have to wear an overpriced winter jacket that makes me look like a penguin for the majority of the year, I’m infinitely happier here than I was at my last school. However, it took me some time to get acclimated and figure out what worked best for me as a transfer student. Here are my tips- from one transfer student to another!

1. Have your “reason” practiced

When I share that I transferred after my freshman year, there is a 99% chance that I’ll be asked why. In the beginning, I was often taken aback and didn’t know how to answer the question well. At this point, I have my explanation memorized almost word-for-word. Remember, you don’t have to share details with anyone if you don’t want to! When in doubt, go with a vague answer.

2. Get comfortable at the registrar

Keeping track of transcript orders and getting proper transfer credit for previous courses is so important, and registrars tend not to be the most organized. Call them, walk in and meet the people behind the phone, and if needed, harass them to get everything sorted out. 

3. Go to orientation in person

Transfer orientation is usually a lot shorter than freshman orientation. At my school, it was optional and it didn’t even last a full day. However, orientation is a great opportunity to meet people and get a feel for the campus before starting the school year.

4.Use your connections to make friends

Reach out to students from your high school who go to your new college and hang out around them to meet their circle of friends. Even if you don’t know anyone directly, it’s likely that you know someone who knows someone at your new school. It’s okay to need some help in order to make your own social circle eventually.  

5. Get involved in extracurricular activities

Not only will this allow you to continue your hobbies and passions, but it will expose you to other people who have similar values. Look online or attend a club fair!

6. Don’t take too hard of a course load your first semester

Your first semester will be full of big adjustments, so don’t take the maximum amount of credits. You should take time to get acclimated. For me, it was important to have some spare time for self-care, social activities, exploring, and whatever else I needed. 

7. Find out what the school has to offer academically

Talk to your advisors, professors, and other students. Look online at your college’s academic websites and at course catalogues. Do as much research as you can, because you should be excited about what you’re learning.

8.Charge your phone before leaving so that you can use GPS

You’re probably going to look like a freshman, but using your phone for GPS is far less embarrassing than asking someone else for directions. 

9.Put in an effort to make social plans

Cliques don’t end in high school, unfortunately. After friend groups have already been together for at least a year, it can be a challenge to break down that barrier, as petty as it is. It can be discouraging if you feel like you can’t make up for lost time, but you can! It’s essential that you put in the effort to go out to meet people and strengthen new bonds. Community is so important, especially in a new place.

10. Stay in touch

While you’re building your new community and making new friends, don’t forget about your old ones. It can be hard to keep in touch when everyone is so busy, but it can be as easy as calling a friend to catch up on your way home from class. 

Good luck and happy transferring!

Images courtesy of empirically.co and washingtonexaminer.com