Healthy(ish) Snacks Perfect for Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

This year, with the majority of us studying at home or in our room for hours on end, it can be tempting to reach for a snack as we study, and having the kitchen only a few steps away doesn’t make it easy to resist. Fueling your body is important, especially during midterm season when you may be staying up extra late to cram for an exam or to finish up an assignment. Here are some (kind of) healthy snacks to make when you want to reach for some chips or cookies instead. 

1. Fruit

Fruit is always a healthy option and requires very little preparation. Grab a banana, an apple, or some berries to nourish your body and brain. You can drizzle a little bit of honey on it if you are craving something extra sweet. Another option is to blend your favorite fruits together for a healthy smoothie!

Healthy fruit breakfast
Photo by Brooke Lark from Unsplash

2. Rice Cakes

Rice cakes are an excellent substitute for when you want chips, and they have a very satisfying crunch to them. Add as many toppings as you want–the possibilities are endless! These are some of my favorite variations of a rice cake:

• Savory: Mash half of an avocado and spread on the top, add your favorite seasonings and some chili flakes if you want to add an extra kick!

• Savory: Spread some hummus, add some cucumber slices on top, and add your favorite seasonings

• Sweet: Spread some peanut butter or almond butter, add slices of banana, and drizzle with honey

• Sweet: Spread some cream cheese, add strawberry slices, and drizzle with honey!

3. Apple Slices with a ~fun~ twist

This is another very satisfying snack if you have a sweet tooth. Core your apple and cut it into rounds. Spread some peanut butter or almond butter on one side and sprinkle with granola, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, or add a drizzle of honey.

apple

Three green apples
Photo by Holly Mindrup from Unsplash

4. Frozen Grapes

Frozen grapes are super refreshing, healthy and easy to make. You can use any kind of grapes, and all you have to do is wash them and freeze them overnight! Freezing them makes them taste even sweeter and I think they taste like candy. If your grapes are sour, coat them in sugar before popping them in the freezer and they will taste even sweeter!

Vineyard Grape Bunches
Alexandra R / Spoon

5. Whole Wheat Crackers

At first glance, crackers are not particularly exciting, and chips sound way more appealing. But, after adding toppings, you can make a really fun and healthy snack. My favorite variation is spreading hummus on one side of the cracker and adding cucumber slices on top. You can also eat crackers with cheese and turkey or any sliced meat.

matzah
pexels

6. Dark chocolate

Sometimes, the only thing that can satisfy your sweet tooth is chocolate. Instead of reaching for milk chocolate high in sugar and fat, reach for dark chocolate instead, which is full of antioxidants (and has been shown to improve your brain function!).

Have fun studying and snacking!

Amala Nayak

U Mich '22

I'm a junior in LSA studying Neuroscience. I like fuzzy blankets, puns, puppies, traveling, talking to people, drinking hot chocolate, trying new flavors of ice cream, and going for walks!