burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Curvy Girl’s Guide to Holiday Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The holidays are a notorious time to “mysteriously” gain a pound or two or ten while celebrating with friends and family.

Between the Thanksgiving turkey and the holiday ham, a plethora of baked goods and enough pies to feed a small village, it’s no secret – the extra weight has a source, and it’s called delicious holiday food.

While some ladies abstain from indulging in such delicacies, another (more ideal) constituency approaches this idea with this philosophy: eat to your heart’s desire! This merry season only comes once a year, and it’s only in the spirit of the holidays to indulge in all of your favorite wintertime treats. So eat that extra shortbread cookie without regret and read up on how to stylishly avoid showing off those extra pounds of delicious holiday treats.

1. Sweater Dress with Tall Boots

Opt for a cozy sweater dress that either cinches you in the middle or floats away from the body, to disguise a softer-than-usual stomach. The style is both flattering and deviously deceptive. Then, pair it with tall boots in a neutral color – your legs will go on for days.

2. Oversized Sweater with Leggings

Slip on an oversized sweater with a comfy pair of leggings, and no one will have to know about the dozen cookies you had at grandma’s house.

3. Long Cardigan with High-Waisted Jeans

A pair of high-waited jeans creates the illusion of a tiny waist and uber-long legs. Choose a pair with a dark blue or black wash, and your figure will look stellar without having to even step on the elliptical.

4. The All-Black Ensemble

Black is a girl’s best friend during the holiday season, as it’s both chic and flattering. Put together an all-black outfit with any of your favorite pieces, including sweaters, long-sleeves, leggings, jeans, slacks, tights, booties, riding boots… the possibilities are endless!

When styling yourself during the holidays, it’s important to remember that a few extra pounds is nothing to be ashamed of! It’s a mark of personal enjoyment and emotional well-being because you’ve devoted time to eating good food with good people. So have some grace for yourself this winter and love your figure no matter how heartily you celebrate and still wear your clothes with confidence!

Image Courtousy of: Pinterest, Melodytrends, Esotericvelvet, Lou What Wear, Floating in Dreams, Glam Radar

Britt is a senior at the University of Michigan studying German and African Studies. She speaks English, German, Swahili and French, and is passionate about intercultural relations, travel, literacy and women's rights. Between her studies, involvement in her sorority Alpha Delta Pi, event planning for various clubs, and philanthropic endeavors within Dance Marathon and Camp Kesem, Britt is often busy and loves to unwind with a good book and cup of hot tea. She has a strong addiction to Instagram, loves eating avocados, and adores her two younger brothers.