Barb Dennis: University of Michigan Women’s Glee Club President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Name: Barb Dennis

Year: Senior

Hometown: Adrian, Michigan

Major: Psychology and Spanish

Her Campus: When and why did you first join the University of Michigan Women’s Glee Club (UMWGC)?

Barb Dennis: I joined UMWGC in the fall of 2011 (could it really have been that long ago?). I remember walking across the Diag during Festifall, and a girl told me to join WGC. I, like most people, immediately thought of the TV show, Glee, and I responded, “Sorry, I can’t dance!” I began walking away, and she yelled back, “Neither can we!” Her humor and commitment to the organization inspired me. I auditioned, found my people, and the rest is history! 

HC: What is your favorite part of UMWGC as a whole?

BD: I absolutely love our foundation of “Sisterhood, Song, and Strength.” When I became president, I realized that our organization didn’t have an actual mission statement. I had been in club for three years, and I knew that club meant so much more to me than just a choir. I felt it was my duty to put my finger on exactly what that meant. So, naturally, I was in the shower when I thought of the “three S’s.” I proposed them in my election speech, and I found myself UMWGC president. I wrote a mission statement encompassing these three themes because this is what the Glee Club experience has meant to me, and this is the experience I’ve hoped to provide for all eighty-plus members. We are a community of women who love each other and love to sing, but most importantly, we encourage each other to be better people and better community members every day. That is what it means to be in WGC.

HC: What made you decide to run for of UMWGC and what other positions did you hold beforehand?

BD: I decided to run for presidency of UMWGC mostly out of duty to the organization. I had previously held the positions of Fundraising Chair and secretary, the latter being an executive board position. In order to run for president, you must have previously held an exec board position, and this was only true of me and one other glee club member. The two of us discussed that it was our duty to give UMWGC a true election, and so we decided that we would both run for president. I had never dreamed of holding titles in the club. I didn’t want to be “president.” What I wanted was to contribute to the org in meaningful ways and to impact these women’s lives positively. I’d like to think that I’ve accomplished that these past four years, particularly with the presidency.

HC: What is the hardest aspect of being the president of such a large organization?

BD: It is often difficult to be president. All eyes are on me all of the time. If something goes wrong, students and administrators look to me, either to blame or for guidance, and that is a lot of pressure. I believe that only past presidents can understand how much work it takes to run an organization of this scale and how thankless the job sometimes feels, as there’s always more to be done and more progress to be made.

HC: What is the most rewarding aspect of being UMWGC’s president?

BD: In my year of presidency, I’ve really focused on community and “Sisterhood, Song, and Strength.” I wanted each member of WGC to feel included, accepted, and safe, both inside of our rehearsal space and outside of it. I can see now that this was a wonderful goal for the WGC this year.  These women love the club and have a space to be with other women in sisterhood. What could be more rewarding than providing that for my colleagues?

HC: What is your favorite UMWGC memory?

BD: My favorite memories of Women’s Glee Club are vast. I’ve been with these women for four years, working diligently to better this organization, and I’ve accomplished that. Perhaps my most recent fond memory with WGC was our spring concert, which took place in Hill Auditorium. I conducted our alma mater, the Yellow and Blue, looked out at our clubbers and alumnae, and realized how incredibly blessed I am to have been part of this community for so long. Singing with these women has brought me immense joy these past four years, and I am leaving having made life-long friends.

HC: Do you have any advice for future UMWGC presidents or presidents of any school-based organization?

BD: Here’s a message to the women out there on campus that will lead organizations in Fall 2015: You are strong. You are capable. You can do this! Do the absolute best job that you can do, stay up an extra hour to make a difference, and when it’s all over, make sure that you leave with something to be proud of. We women are out there, making a difference in this world, and we must continue to progress as the leaders and best. Best of luck to all of my colleagues in your leadership endeavors and beyond. As we say in Women’s Glee Club, glee love, and Go Blue!