This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

In order to achieve the moisturized, clear, and overall flawless skin we all desire, it is essential to maintain a daily and nightly skin care routine. Keep in mind that it is important to think about how your routine may change from season to season, especially during the winter’s coldest, driest months. A crucial part of a healthy skincare routine is exfoliation, or the use of a textured scrub designed to brighten skin by remove dead skin cells. Sometimes exfoliators don’t do their job; they can be drying, unnecessarily beady, or painful when applied to sensitive winter skin. In order to avoid those uncomfortable sandpaper-like exfoliators, here is a definitive list of non-irritating exfoliators that won’t kill your skin this winter.

1. Glossier’s Solution Exfoliator

I have not yet personally tried this minimalist brand, but it seems that Glossier’s newly launched skin exfoliator is everything you could want in an exfoliator packaged nicely into one aesthetically pleasing bottle. The solution gently sloughs dead skin cells away through chemical exfoliation instead of physically scraping off the surface of your skin, which is what many other exfoliators do. Glossier suggests applying the solution daily after washing your face with their Milky Jelly Cleanser. Within a few weeks you should expect cleared acne and blackheads, smaller pores, reduced redness, and much softer skin. Buy it here for $24.

2. Fresh Sugar Face Polish

Fresh brand’s sugar face polish differs from other exfoliants because it functions as a two-in-one exfoliator and nourishing mask. The product is made with all natural ingredients including pure brown sugar, a light ingredient that naturally seals in moisture to gently buff away dry, dull skin, and wild strawberries, which are packed with vitamin C, designed to help brighten and soothe skin. Plum seed oil and grape seed oil leave the skin soft and hydrated. Founders Lev Glazman and Alina Roytberg recommend using the product 3-4 times a week. Gently massage onto clean skin and leave for 5-10 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Buy this soothing, paraben and sulfate-free exfoliator here for $62, or opt for their mini version here for $25.

3. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Foaming Scrub

Neutrogena’s pink grapefruit foaming scrub is the perfect exfoliant for anyone with sensitive, acne-prone skin. This brand is #1 dermatologist recommended. The exfoliator is oil-free, uses “MicroClear” technology, and is infused with maximum-strength salicylic acid to clear blemishes and blackheads. The naturally derived grapefruit extract and vitamin C helps exfoliate and smooth skin without over-drying. Get yours here for under $10!

4. Mario Badescu Botanical Exfoliating Scrub

If you love everything Mario Badescu (who doesn’t), his botanical exfoliating scrub is a must-buy. The scrub is designed for all skin types, and provides a refreshing deep clean, banishing dullness and replacing it with radiance. The product’s Ecuadorian ivory palm seeds suspended in a cushiony, gel based, gentle polish will perfectly refresh your skin and help prevent pore congestion. Uneven skin tone and texture are refined due to all-natural ingredients. Antioxidant-packed  ginger, green tea extracts, coconut, and aloe vera all soothe skin and make it soft to the touch. Mario Badescu recommends using the product 2-3 times a week by gently massaging it on wet skin for a few minutes before rinsing off with warm water. Buy it here for $26.

Images courtesy of: Anthropologie, Ulta Beauty, Elle UK, and Fresh