The 4 Best Excuses to Call Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

I’m 20 years old, a (mostly) functioning adult, and I can proudly admit that I call my mom at least once a day. Strangely enough, for my first two years at school, I felt relatively distant from my parents. It was likely the fact that they live a mere 45 minutes from campus, but I was seemingly determined to “grow-up”, which in my mind meant I was to have no contact with my parents unless I was home for the holidays (with the notable exception of dinners at Zingerman’s, of course!).  

This innate idea that going to college automatically makes us independent is a common mindset, and even more, the world around us reinforces the idea that this independence is not only what is supposed to happen, but what must happen. If for some reason you go off to college and don’t come out the other end with a full time job and a mortgage then according to society, you’ve failed. Apparently, relying on the people that solely kept you alive for the past 18 years is no longer acceptable. Lucky for me, I both attempted and failed to achieve this independence, and I can honestly say I’ve never felt like more of an adult.

It took me two years, but I have finally realized, which I assume many of you have as well, that cutting off your parents is not only a disservice to them, but to you as well. Never again will anyone care as much about your daily, mundane activities as your parents do right now. It’s time to get over the fact that your mom is always your most recent call, embrace it, and pick up the phone.

Now that we’ve all admitted we love talking to our parents, here are four convenient excuses just to hear their voices…

“I have an exam today”

Everyone around you has exams, so no one, not even your best friend, is going to care. Your parents on the other hand will act like your life literally depends on the outcome and by the time you’re off the phone, your mom has already alerted the entire extended family and called up your professor to talk about how “her baby” is doing in the class.

“You know that exam I told you about…just failed it”

Failing an exam definitely sucks, but don’t expect to get any pity from your roommates (they are well aware you were up till three re-watching Gilmore Girls)… HELLO MOM. She has always been your number one supporter and knows that when she can’t be there to give you a reassuring hug, a surprise delivery from Insomnia manages to do the trick.

“I just had expired ramen for breakfast…again.”

Not only does this announcement create an automatic response to send a fully stocked care package to your house or dorm ASAP, but it ensures Christmas dinner will be lit.

“Hi! Oh me? … I’m just on the bus, so tell me about your entire day?”

No one wants to ride the bus or walk home from the UGLi alone. Even better, no one wants to receive an impromptu call from their dear child more than your mother (except maybe your grandmother). Let your mom know just how much you miss her and give her time to fill you in on all the trouble your younger brother has been getting into since you last chatted. WIN WIN.

I’ll be the first to admit I can’t go a day without talking to my mom. Whether I need a favor or just some support, she’s always ready and willing to talk. I’d like to thank Verizon wireless for making this realization possible, now excuse me, my mom’s calling.

Photos courtesy of giphy, quickmeme.com, i.ytimg.com, and Huffington Post. 

Julie is a sophomore at the University of Michigan who is currently undecided on her major, and loving it. There is a 95% chance that when she is not showering, taking an exam, or sleeping, you will find her drooling over one of the twelve food acocunts she follows on instagram. Her hobbies include quoting every line from Gilmore Girls, planning her wedding to a professional hockey player, and taste testing all of the Michigan dining hall soups. For even more insight into her very eventful life, follow her on instagram @juliefurton.