This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Boston chapter.

As I write this, it is around 36 degrees Fahrenheit outside and only getting colder as the days go on. As much as it pains me to say, winter is upon us. While the temperature drops and snow is on its way, the urge to snuggle up into my bed and eat ramen and chicken nuggets every day is stronger than ever. Finals season looming in front of me isn’t exactly any help. 

However, I’ve found that eating bland foods with low nutritional value in this season is only contributing to how awful I feel. Whether I like it or not, a warm, home-cooked meal helps me feel warmer and happier. Here are some of my favorite dishes for cold weather. 

A few disclaimers:

I am the type of person to mainly use intuition instead of measurements and a recipe. Therefore, measurements are an incredibly rough estimate. I also really dislike salt, so I may add less than the usual person to a recipe. Additionally, I do not recommend brands because budget and preferences change by person. Some of these recipes are labeled as Gluten Free or Vegan, but please ensure that the brands you’re using are specifically GF or Vegan. 

Grilled Cheese – GF

Time dedication: 15 minutes Difficulty: 1/5

Bread, cheese, butter (or mayo), seasonings as desired.

1. Butter both sides of two pieces of bread. Place one in a frying pan on low heat. 
  2. Add cheese, another slice of bread, and seasonings while it’s cooking. Flip after 5/6 minutes
  3. Cook both sides until golden brown (or preferred)

I know I don’t exactly need to lead anybody through making grilled cheese, but this classic really is a simple dish that boosts morale a bit more than a microwaved meal. While a classic grilled cheese is great, I like to add regular sandwich items such as a slice of turkey, tomato, or spinach. 

Fried Tofu – Vegan, GF

Time dedication: 30 mins Difficulty: 2/5

Fried tofu is one of my favorite recipes to make. If you can manage a few things at once, it’s a quick and easy option for dinner. I typically meal prep for the week, but this is fast enough that I can cook it one meal at a time. 

1 pack extra firm tofu, olive oil, 1 cup rice, frozen vegetables (optional). 

Sauce: 

3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sesame seed oil, 1 tbsp water, 1 tsp honey (optional)

2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 clove garlic, 1 tbsp oregano, 1 tsp pepper

1. Cut up the tofu. I prefer bite-sized pieces, but longer strips are also a great option. 
  2. Add one tbsp olive oil into a frying pan and cook the tofu on medium heat until both sides are golden brown, about eight minutes each side. You can pretty much set it and forget it if you’re using a non-stick pan.
  3. *While the tofu is cooking, prepare your sauce. Add all ingredients into a small bowl and keep to the side. 
  4. Also while the tofu is cooking, prepare your rice. Cooking instructions depend on what sort of rice you are using.
  5. Once all of the tofu is cooked, add the sauce and simmer for about a minute. 
  6. Add the tofu and vegetables to the rice. 

*Try the sauce. If it tastes too much like oil, add more water and sugar. If it tastes too sweet, add soy sauce. If it tastes too much like soy sauce, add sesame seed oil. Change to taste and preference. 

Meatloaf – GF

Time dedication: 90 mins Difficulty: 3/5

Meatloaf recipes vary by person, but this is my personal favorite. It’s mainly an act of balancing wet and dry ingredients. The end consistency should be similar to bread dough. 

1 ½ lbs ground beef ½ large onion 3 cloves garlic

1 large egg 2 tbsp ketchup ⅓ cup milk

1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs → (If you can’t find GF breadcrumbs, substitute oats)

2 tbsp pepper, 2 tbsp oregano, 2 Tsp Salt, 1 tsp garam masala, dash of paprika

1. Preheat the oven to 350॰F
  2. Prep the ingredients: 

I recommend grating the onion, but you can finely chop it/mince it if you don’t have a grater. Mince the garlic. If you’d like, you can measure out all ingredients prior for ease. 

1. Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl. I usually mix by hand, as that is how my mother taught me (it is unpleasant, but very effective). You can use a spatula or spoon as well, but it will take longer to thoroughly mix. 
  2. Form the meatloaf 

I recommend forming the meatloaf on a baking sheet, rather than a bread pan, as it will cook more evenly. 

1. Put into oven for 40-50 minutes

While waiting for the meatloaf, I like to clean my work station by doing all of the dishes I no longer need. I also prepare any sides, such as potatoes—instant potatoes are super convenient—and vegetables. Green beans or beets pair well with meatloaf. 

Riley Hammond

U Mass Boston '25

Riley is a junior at UMass Boston, currently pursuing a degree in psychology (BS). She hopes to enter the field of psychological research, with interest in clinical psychology, stigma, and the influences of culture and identity on different aspects of psychology. Her overall career goal is to help others and reduce the stigma surrounding mental health diagnoses and therapy in general. When she isn't working or studying, you can find her at the gym, scrapbooking, or