Z’s get Degrees: Healthy Thoughts and Practices for College Life and Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We’re around the midpoint of our semester here at UMass Amherst. Midterms are more or less over, which is nice, but it’s hard not to think about the next round of exams, essays, or internship applications coming around the corner. Our student’s minds are always busy, jumping from one thing to the next. Not only do we have books to read and formulas to memorize, but there are parties to go to, social events on campus where we feel we should make an appearance, and of course, there’s the rec center, where my parents always tell me I can get a “brain break.”

With all of that going on, are there any hours left for just us? A true brain break can’t always be achieved at the gym—you’re focusing on that extra rep or lap around the track, while hoping you don’t see anyone you know as you struggle to stay on the treadmill.

So what do we set aside in pursuit of our good grades and toned legs? Sleep. I’ve always considered myself a morning person, but I find myself staying up later at night than I’d like for back-to-back exams and overlapping papers. I hear my peers competing over who got the least amount of sleep the night before, the winners having pulled all-nighters. The question I’d like to explore: why, of all things, is sleep our greatest sacrifice?

I recognize that there are days (and nights) where sleep just isn’t an option, or at least a very limited one—maybe only a two-hour nap before that 8 a.m. class. But before we make such choices, we should at least consider their implications. Sleep refreshes our brains, getting them ready for the next day. If you’re consuming an average of 2000 calories a day, your brain is set to burn approximately 400 calories a day. Once it has burned its 400 calories (this includes the calories it burns while you sleep), it cannot continue to function at max capacity…until you rest! Consider this when you feel like your nightly reading for that English class doesn’t quite seem to be sticking in your brain as you read.

But again, let’s face the facts: sometimes we still push through and tire our brains out regardless. I personally find myself getting stressed when I don’t get enough sleep. I start to wonder if a certain class is worth it. I see what staying up so late does to me and I think about the consequences on my health. So, for my own benefit and to bolster this article, I researched some healthy things to remind myself as I study for hours on end, spend sunny days in the library, and settle in for three hours of sleep. I now find myself practicing positive psychology on a daily basis.

Positive Psychology

If you’re pulling all-nighters and finding yourself stressed as a result, remind yourself of the good things in your life. Amazingly, you can train your brain to adapt slowly to the good things in life (an A on an exam, seeing a dog in the campus center) to be happy for a longer period of time. Simultaneously, positive psychology can train your brain to quickly adapt and move on from more upsetting experiences (an exam you didn’t get to finish, a break up) so you can move on and focus on the happier aspects of your life. Your adaptation speeds parallel with how often you count your blessings. As silly as it may sound, consider what’s working in your life before you close your eyes for bed. If there doesn’t seem to be anything good, think about when you were last happy and the things you can do to make yourself feel that way again.

Knowing your strengths, another tenet of positive psychology, can help you develop realistic goals when your life changes. When you’re going to bed, remind yourself of what worked that day, what you achieved, and what you need to work on. Just thinking about it will give your brain the time to adapt and refresh for the day to come.

More than anything, remember that you’re not alone. There are people in your life who can support you and there are students all around you that are also stressing out over their exams, papers, social lives, and ultimately their health due to lack of sleep. Organize your schedule by splitting up time for your schoolwork, mind and body health, and your social life. If you find yourself with little free time, step back and think about it—spend it doing whatever you find most important.

Recognize what your body needs in order to succeed. This is your life as a student at UMass Amherst; don’t get dragged down by anything and make the most of it.

Images/Videos: 1, 2, 3, 4

Sources: 1, 2

Kristen Forscher

U Mass Amherst

English major with math and IT minor, interested in publishing. UMass Amherst class of 2018.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst