andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Guide For A Day-Trip in New England

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Summer is nearly upon us, so what better way to procrastinate on finals than to plan some great day or weekend trips over the vacation?! Taking a vacation in a far-off place can be very expensive, so here are some closer-to-home places that can be enjoyed as tourist destinations even for New Englanders. All of these spots are relatively low-cost destinations and can easily be managed on a budget. Let the vacationing commence!

1. MASS MoCA

Located in North Adams, MA, and just a short road trip away from Amherst, is MASS MoCA: Museum of Contemporary Art. The museum itself is located in a renovated factory and exhibits very edgy, current artwork. The town of North Adams is also a great location for Collegiettes looking to day trip in the Berkshires!

2. Ben & Jerry’s factory tour

Located in Waterbury, VT (just outside of Vermont’s largest city, Burlington) lies the Ben & Jerry’s factory. Perfect for a summertime getaway, the tour shows you how the ice cream is made and of course gives you a sample at the end (yum!). Be sure to check out the factory’s flavor graveyard – not as creepy as it sounds! Another fun factory tour in Vermont is the Teddy Bear Factory, located in the town of Shelburne. 

3. Burlington, VT

Perhaps best-suited for a weekend trip rather than a day trip because it is about a four-hour drive from Western Mass, you must check out Burlington, VT if you have not already. This is Vermont’s largest city (read: it is still very small) and has a wonderful blending of a Vermont outdoorsy vibe with the friendliness of a small European city. The city is very pedestrian-friendly, and because it is a college town (Burlington is home to the University of Vermont), it has a wonderful array of restaurants and bars. 

4. Walden Pond

Located in Concord, MA, Walden Pond is the famed setting of Thoreau’s seminal work. Come to Walden for a hike around the pond, some swimming, and some “transcendental” relaxation. Appreciate the fact that Walden Pond was saved from development in the 1990s by The Eagles’ drummer Don Henley, who purchased the property and then handed it over to the state to be preserved as a place of cultural importance. About a half-hour’s car ride outside of Boston, Concord is the perfect spot for escaping the city and experiencing some not-so-heavy-handed historical New England immersion. 

5. New London, CT

Larger but less well-known than Mystic, New London, CT is a perfect place for a coastal New England day trip. With the town’s main street located right on the water, New London is perfect for relaxing strolls complemented by sea breezes. The town is friendly and walkable, and it satisfies a visitor’s appetite for experiencing some traditional, New England, maritime architecture.

Happy travels, Collegiettes!

Chloë Morse

U Mass Amherst

I'm a double major in Social Thought & Political Economy and Italian. I enjoy food, dance, social justice, art, foreign languages, music, and much more.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst