This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Starting a bullet journal can be intimidating. Some people use it as an agenda and others as a diary. The thing about the bullet journal is that it is whatever you want it to be! A planner, mood tracker, manifestation journal, anything! But the best part about it is that it not only helps you be productive, but also mindful.

I got into bullet journaling during March 2020 COVID-19 quarantine. Right before lockdown happened, I went to Michael’s with my mom and sister and got a journal. My good friend Sarah had always shown me her bullet journal full of drawings and script and though I was always inspired by it, I didn’t work up the effort to start my own. This time, it felt like a great project to keep me busy during a time of no control.

journaling
Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters from Unsplash

My first spreads were scrambled, to say the least. All I had for supplies was a few Crayola markers at the time. It took me a few months to figure out what kind of stuff I used in my bullet journal and what I didn’t need. I started out with basic spreads like an event tracker and to-do list. Then I began creating mood and habit trackers and gratitude logs. This led to pages and pages filled with hope for a better future. 

During unknown times and a lot of uncontrollable, disappointing world events, my bullet journal kept me stable. Waking up every day to fill out a gratitude log, mood tracker and plan out my day was a form of self-care. Though at times I did not have a lot to fill in the spreads, it was fun to practice drawing and look on Pinterest for inspiration.  

There is no wrong way to do it. Personally, I like to use my bullet journal as a combination of a planner, habit tracker and manifestation journal. I have pages to write down my dreams and goals as well as mundane weekly planners. My favorite aspect of bullet journaling is that it’s everything you need or want all in one place.

writings on a planner
Photo by Bich Tran from Pexels

Since March of 2020, I have gone through two bullet journals. Every Sunday I sit at my desk to get out some creative energy and plan out the next week. This time is not only fulfilling, but it inspires me to work hard and look within myself to see what I need to be my best. When starting off, it can be scary putting pen to paper, but my best advice is to just go for it! As Bob Ross says, “we don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents.” Now it’s your turn to try!

Alana Zeilander

U Mass Amherst '23

Alana Zeilander is a sophomore majoring in journalism with a concentration in public relations and a minor in business. At UMass, Alana is the secretary of the PR Club and an active member of UMass CHAARG. During her free time, you can find her bullet journaling, watching Marvel movies, or drinking large cups of coffee. To learn more about Alana and connect with her, check out her personal website atzeilander.wordpress.com.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst