Molly Peach-Girl With Fall Leaves Outsidee
Molly Peach / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Why You Should Get Outside (and Leave Your Phone Inside) Before It’s Too Late!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The fall season has been flying by this year, as always. Not long from now, going outside will require thick layers of clothing and a good measure of willpower. So, before it’s too late, I encourage you to make time to get outside. You could choose your favorite fall activity – apple picking, a hike, or a haunted house – and put it in your Google Calendar! You could also do something as simple as taking a short walk outside or sitting on a bench and reading a book. Whatever you can do – big or small – you should do! 

While it’s easy to get caught up in schoolwork and stress, making time to get outside is worth it. Personally, I feel fulfilled, at ease, and connected to myself when I spend time outside. Even if it’s as simple as a 20-minute jog, I find that time outdoors clears my mind, sharpens my thinking, and boosts my mood. Spending time outside is clinically proven to improve mental health – in several research studies, going outside has been linked to benefits such as “improved attention, lower stress, better mood … and even upticks in empathy and cooperation.” 

In addition, when you do go outside this fall, I suggest that you leave your phone inside. This way, you can be fully present – there are no notifications, social media posts, or games to distract you (I don’t know about you guys, but I still play Jetpack Joyride from time to time). Research suggests that smartphones can become addictive and increase the risk of psychological disorders like ADHD, anxiety, and depression. Social media specifically has been linked to increases in depression and anxiety among Gen Z; between FOMO, comparison to others, and hyper-connection, there’s a lot that can negatively affect us. While it’s tempting to bring your phone outside to snap a picture or stay connected in case of an emergency, I challenge you to leave it at home whenever you can. Your phone may contribute more than you think to your mental health – so take a moment to unplug (and self-reflect on the limitations that your phone can place on your well-being)!

While I am trying to find reasons to be excited about winter, I know that I am going to miss the crisp and comfortable autumn weather. Even if you are someone who enjoys cold weather, you won’t have the same opportunities to spend time outside in a few weeks; so, soak up all the sunshine and warmth that you can, while you can! If improving your mental health can be as simple as taking a few steps out the door, what’s stopping you? 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Kate Devitt

U Mass Amherst '24

Kate is a senior marketing and English major at UMass Amherst. In her free time, you can typically find her reading, hiking, making a new Spotify playlist, or spending time with family and friends.