This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There are many things in life that are contemptuously debated: cats vs. dogs, sweet vs. salty, your hometown football team vs. your rivals. But one that I hold very near and dear to my heart is the never-ending feud of Spotify Premium vs. Apple Music. As an avid lover of both Spotify and debates, I will fight for Spotify until the day I die. 

First, let’s just start off with the facts. As a college student, both Spotify and Apple Music are $4.99 a month– a pretty fair deal. However, with your student subscription for Spotify, you also receive a FREE Hulu and Showtime account. You literally are getting three streaming platforms at the same rate as plain old Apple Music. This point alone should sway your decision but if not, do not fret, there are many more pros. 

Next off is how much Spotify cares <3. All jokes aside, I have gotten pretty much all of my new music from recommended playlists that Spotify curates based on my recent listening. The range of categories they make for you is astounding, and as someone who has a very broad range in music tastes, this is very helpful. For example, they create “Daily Mixes” 1 through 6 that are grouped by artist similarity that you are listening to. My Daily Mix 1 is “Mac Miller, Trippie Redd, SZA and more”, but my Daily Mix 5 is “Hozier, The Lumineers, Vance Joy and more”. The best playlist that they make for you is your “Discover Weekly” which gives you over an hour of brand new songs. They even have curated playlists FOR YOUR ZODIAC SIGN (my Aquarius playlist slaps not gonna lie). While Apple Music may give you a few suggestions, Spotify’s dedication to curating playlists is simply unmatched. 

Another aspect of Spotify that I LOVE is how collaborative you can be with your friends. Both Spotify and Apple Music offer the option of collaborative playlists which I think are really cool. For example, me and my UMass friends made an 8-hour long playlist called “songs that remind me of freshmen year”. We all added our favorite pre-game songs, songs we played on car rides, songs we played just hanging out, party songs, etc. It is a super cool look into our group’s music variance. 

However, Spotify’s collaborative nature does not stop there. The newest feature they added is the option for group streaming. Have you ever been at a party or in the car and wanted to play a certain song, but you’re not on aux? When you create a group streaming, anyone that joins can add songs to the queue! Rather than having to bother whoever is on aux, you can just add songs yourself from your own phone! I have had so much fun with this new feature. 

Spotify, collaborative playlist
Spotify Web Player

As you can see, I am very passionate about my love for Spotify and could go on for days about its top tier features. I will end this by plugging one of my favorite playlists, “literally just immaculate vibes that can’t be beat”, which you can find on my Spotify account. I hope that I have persuaded you to better spend your money and switch on over to the superior side of music streaming platforms. 

Kately Martin

U Mass Amherst '23

Kately is junior at UMass Amherst studying Special Education and Anthropology. In her free time, you can find Kately working at Marylou’s Coffee to supplement her caffeine addiction. Kately also works part time at a day program for adults with Intellectual and Developmental disabilities as well as being the Best Buddies President here at UMass! In addition Her Campus, she enjoys running/lifting, hanging out with friends, and journaling!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst