Wellness

Why Everyone Should Try A Group Fitness Class In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

After three years of going to school here, I can say with confidence that one of my favorite perks of attending UMass is the Rec Center classes. I danced all throughout high school, which meant that the majority of my “working out” was done in a studio with an instructor. Since dance classes took up so much of my schedule, I never really tried different ways to be active. The first time I went to a real gym was during freshman year of college. I was completely lost and overwhelmed by all the different types of machines. If I did create a legitimate plan for my workout (which was not often), it would very rarely get done completely. I wasted a lot of time in the gym slacking off, and I knew I had to figure out some other way to be active in college.

Group fitness classes were my saving grace. In all honesty, I felt very intimidated when I first started going to them. The first fitness class I took at UMass was spin. I had never taken a spin class before, and it felt like everyone knew what they were doing besides me. However, it didn’t take me too long to catch up to them. After about a semester of doing spin, I felt like a completely different person. I was able to keep up with the instructor and those around me. I felt really strong and was proud of myself for pushing through, and I was also happy to have a workout routine that felt effective to me.

Spin is my personal favorite class at the Rec Center, but I have tried and enjoyed many of the other classes they offer as well. A few others that I like are barre and pilates. There are so many options both in classes and at times that the classes are being offered. The instructors are fellow college students who truly want you to have a good time in their classes, and are always willing to have a conversation after class about anything rec-related. 

If you think you would have any interest in a group fitness class, I would urge you to try at least one here at UMass. Any type of group class they offer at the Rec Center would be extremely expensive elsewhere. A typical spin class could cost you anywhere from $10-$30 if you were looking for one after graduation. Since a full Rec Center membership is included in the cost of tuition at UMass, you can take full advantage of the group classes and try as many as you want for free. It is a great opportunity to try new workout routines that you just may end up loving! 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Brynn Geary

U Mass Amherst '24

Brynn is a senior and a communication and sociology major at UMass Amherst. Aside from writing, Brynn spends most of her time dancing, going to concerts and searching for the perfect iced oat milk latte.