Why Every Adult Should Watch “Mary Poppins Returns”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Walt Disney was really onto something when he said, “That’s the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up.” Today, every adult seems to have forgotten what it’s like to find the simplest joys in life, and instead, rushes through the day without ever looking up from a computer screen. This kind of behavior day-to-day can be dangerous, since it allows your life to be whisked away, and taken along with it, the opportunities to have some fun and laugh with the people in your life.

Enter: Mary Poppins. Although this “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” nanny ceases to exist in the real world, she continues to teach people of every age how to “flippity flop” their negative perspective of a situation and find the light in the dark. Originally created in the 1930s by P.L. Travers through a series of children’s books, Mary Poppins embodied the idea of never growing up. In 1964, Disney introduced Mary Poppins to the big screen and she instantly became a global sensation that taught grownups and kids alike the importance of optimism, and how a little positivity can go a long way.

In December of 2018, Mary Poppins found her way back into the spotlight at a most opportune time. With politics dividing our country, technology taking over everyone’s day, and a tragedy seemingly striking every other week, our society needed her more than ever. Of course, a fictional character could never right the wrongs that have been flooding through our world, but the idea of what Mary Poppins represents at least reminds people — especially adults —  that all is not lost and to never lose sight of the good that still exists in humanity.

Mary Poppins Returns was a raging success in theaters. With musical numbers already being nominated both for an Oscar and for a Golden Globe Award, the movie had a stellar cast and featured the outrageously talented Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel Miranda (yes, Alexander Hamilton himself). This film is bound to be an unforgettable classic, just as the original was. Despite being intended for a younger audience, Mary Poppins Returns is full of valuable life lessons that especially resonate with adults. 

In the film, a widowed Michael Banks is all grown up with three children of his own and is desperately trying to save his home from being taken by the bank. His stress and worry prompts Mary Poppins to make her big return back to “17 Cherry Tree Lane” to show him and his family how a little bit of childish fun (and a touch of magic) can make a huge impact in life when everything seems to be falling apart. Under the guise of song and dance, the lessons that Mary Poppins teaches the Banks family are applicable to practically everybody today. We’re all bogged down with worrying about the uncertainty of the future, but that shouldn’t stop us from having fun in the process of trying to sort out the hardships that life throws our way.

So, even if you’re not crazy about musicals, Mary Poppins Returns is well worth the watch because it manages to spark the memory of what it was like to be a carefree child which, I believe, is something every grownup should be reminded of!

Images/Gifs: 1, 2, 3,

Danielle Jin

U Mass Amherst '20

Dani is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in English with a double minor in psychology and education. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Dani loves being with her friends, hiking with her dog, marathoning bad horror movies on Netflix, and eating unhealthy amounts of Haagen Dasz green tea ice cream. Right now, she's just trying to figure out her next move post-graduation :)
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst