What To Wear To An Interview If You Don’t Own A Suit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

You may have recently found yourself applying for summer internships, or even full-time jobs if you are a senior Collegiette. It can be both exciting and intimidating to think about what opportunities lie before you.

So you heard back from your dream company and they asked if you could come in for an interview, the question of impending doom looms over you: What do I wear? The first answer should always be a suit, but not everyone has the means and the time to go out and buy a suit, which is totally understandable.

Almost every interview calls for a business professional outfit, but sometimes your interviewer might say to dress in business casual. Differentiating between the blurred lines of business professional, business casual, and too casual can sometimes be difficult to see. Pinterest is at great place to start for some inspiration. Here are some suggestions to help you look stylish yet professional so you stand out on all the right ways.

Shoes

Avoid wearing flats to an interview. I know some girls love flats and are probably asking why I suggest not wearing them. Flats are too casual for an interview. If the interviewer suggestions business casual, and you REALLY want to wear flats, go for a solid color simple flat. You should wear heels, but the heel should be no higher than two and a half, maybe three, inches. Always go for black or gray; nude is too “formal affair” for an interview. Check out this pair from Famous Footwear:

Dresses

Marshalls and T.J.Maxx are flooded with wrap dresses and professional looking dresses from designers like Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein. Pick a subtle color palette: blues, greens, or black and white. Avoid too many colors and especially avoid a low cut top. Always wear nylons and professional pumps. Here is a suggestion from T.J.Maxx:

Here is more structured fitting dress from T.J.Maxx:

Dress Pants or Skirt with a Blouse or Simple Top

This is definitely an easy go-to outfit, but being able to make the outfit as professional as possible can be a challenge. Skirts should be high waisted and MUST go down to your knee. Making sure you are comfortable in the skirt is important, so try on a few different brands and sizes to make sure you can sit and comfortably cross your legs.

A simple long sleeve blouse or a tank top with a sweater will polish the look. Keep in mind, if you are going to wear a button up blouse, avoid wearing a push up bra to prevent the dreaded hole between the buttons over your chest. Blazers are always a great piece to have in your closet, but avoid wearing one to an interview if it is oversized or if you think it may be too trendy for the professional world. Here are some outfit inspirations from Pinterest that you could definitely put together with a quick trip to Marshalls:

Photo via: www.careerlive.com

Photo via: www.thedimediary.com

Keeping your look clean and conservative is always the best way to go. Don’t be afraid to accessorize with a pearl necklace or a solid pair of studded earrings. No matter what, always try to look your best: without a doubt, you’ll feel your best, too. Good luck with your interviews, ladies!

Andrea Afrikian

U Mass Amherst

I love fashion and I study economics. Work hard if you want to play hard!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst