Wellness > Mental Health

Tips From A Girl Trying To Re-learn What Self Care Really Is (Continued..)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Since my first edition I hope you’ve found the tricks to self improvement that I’d offered you helpful. Since you can never have enough self care, I’ve decided to throw you all a few more habits that have led me towards some success in the recent past. These universal tips might set your routine on just the right track.

Tip #5- Call Your Grandparents More

They always say that the older are wiser. While this may not always be the case, if you have a grandparent that is accepting and caring, I suggest calling them often. They can offer some perspective on any situations you may be going through and it’s just a good routine to get into in general. They may be a bit bored and want to hear from you, especially being away at college for so long. Plus, it’s nice to get a sense of home and family every once in a while.

Tip #6- Don’t Feel Pressure To Always Go Out

This one took me a while to learn. It’s normal to have a social life in college, especially on the weekends. Balancing everything on top of that is key though. If you are feeling under the weather or really tired, of course it’s the proper thing to stay in. That being said, there are other circumstances to account for. If you think that going out one night is going to make it so that you have to play a lot of catch-up the next day and will be overwhelmed, STAY IN. This is coming from a girl who had to play the craziest game of catch-up ever last semester. Your friends are going to miss you and may try to push you to go out with them, but it’s important to do what’s best for you as well. I’m not saying that you should be a hermit because that’s not healthy either, but carve out the time you need for yourself. FOMO is real though so if that’s going to be a problem, try to turn off your phone or turn on ‘do not disturb’ mode.

legally blonde icky valentines day?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
MGM

Tip #7- The One Thing Rule

For all my mentally unstable girlies this one’s for you. I will sometimes get into these ruts where my life turns into a mess and I’m so overwhelmed that I give up on fixing or doing anything. It can make life even more stressful, but sometimes it’s so hard to get up and go after it. My mom once sent me this inspirational Instagram post which usually I would just scoff at, but this one actually resonated with me. It reads, “Can’t clean up the whole room? Clean a corner of it. Can’t do all the dishes? Do a dish. Can’t get in the shower? Wash your face. Always look for the thing you CAN do, with the energy and focus you DO have. Little wins pave the way for bigger wins. 1% beats 0%.” For whatever reason I tried this theory out and once I got going with a task, I couldn’t stop. It was very motivational. Even if you can’t keep going, at least you tried and did a little something productive. 

Tip #8- Just Say Yes

If there’s an event your friends want to go to or some sort of social outing that’s not partying, try to always say yes. 95% of the time, even if you’re feeling low, it will make you feel better. If it doesn’t, well then you still have something to show for your day. No one to go with? Go on a ride to nowhere and listen to your favorite music. These little things will keep you in good spirits. Live while you can.

I hope you will all try some of these tips out and see what sticks. The tiniest change can make the biggest difference. Keep your heads up queens and never let your crown fall. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Kate Katz

U Mass Amherst '24

Kate is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, and a New Yorker at heart. She is a double major in Journalism and Communication and hopes to work in the broadcast field. Kate also writes for several other UMass publications. She is so grateful to be able to share her work with such a wide audience of readers.