Three Sports Games In Three Days: How To Prepare For The Boston Chaos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

What’s better than a Fenway Frank while the Red Sox are up 4-0? If you have ever been to a Boston Red Sox game, you know that the famous baseball game hot dog is worth the money…unless you’re vegetarian. Do you know what is also worth your money? Well, I am here to tell you how I was able to afford to go to three Boston sports games in three days. It takes some preparation, but it was an experience that made me happy and made me feel connected to my Massachusetts roots.

I went to the Bruins, Celtics, and Red Sox games three days in a row, and I can help you achieve this goal by sharing what I spent and helping you prepare for the madness. If you go to any Boston sports game, you will understand that almost everyone attending the event will be wearing some sort of merchandise of the team that they are rooting for. I did not spend $150 on a brand-new jersey — I thrifted my gear from my local thrift stores. You can find a Red Sox hat at nearly any second-hand store in Massachusetts. I promise you, you do not need a brand-new merchandise piece to make you feel like you belong. Another tip if you do not want to spend money is to borrow some gear from a friend, family member, or significant other. If those options do not work out, it is even acceptable to wear the color of the team that you are rooting for. You will blend in if you simply wear a yellow sweatshirt at a Bruins game — just remember to dress warmly inside a skating arena. Don’t worry, there is no need to drop your paycheck on Boston sports team gear. Additionally, if you are a college student, sometimes your school will do events at sports stadiums and arenas where they offer free hats or discounts on ticket prices. I found my Red Sox tickets for only nine dollars and it was a beautiful 60-degree day with sunshine. 

Driving through Boston is already stressful as it is with the traffic, pedestrians, and one-way streets. Having no idea where to park is another additional catastrophe. I advise you to plan your parking in advance. If you are capable of doing a 20-minute walk, parking lots that are further away from the event will be cheaper. If you plan your day accordingly by having extra time to park and walk, it is worth it, especially on a beautiful day. Parking near the sports venue will most likely be around 50 dollars. Furthermore, try to find a parking lot where you can pay for your ticket before you get there because most parking lots will be full and you may find a perfectly priced parking lot with a great walking location that is full. Try to pay for a spot the night before or have a friend research during the car ride there. What I learned to do next time I go to a Boston sports game is to plan on getting to your parking destination an hour and a half before the game starts to give you enough time to park, walk, and grab yourself a bite to eat and something to drink at the venue before the game starts. You do not want to have a friend in the group pull a Kate Hudson moment from How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, and make you go get a diet soda with them when your team is scoring the winning point. 

For someone like me who lives an hour and a half away from Boston, it may be difficult to judge if you should find a place to sleep in Boston or drive back and forth. I figured that driving to and from Boston for each event would be less expensive than paying for a hotel for two nights, so therefore, I drove. Depending on the car you drive and the amount of traffic that you hit, the cost of gas should be around $90 if you decide to do what I did, but splitting it with a group of friends makes it a more affordable trip. You can also rotate who droves each time. Furthermore, being able to sleep in the comfort of your own bed also allows you to eat and pack food from your own kitchen and refrigerator to save the price of going out to eat every meal. But if you decide to have a getaway weekend in Boston, doing the research to find a low-cost hotel or Airbnb may be a great cost-effective option too. Outside of the Boston area will likely give you the most affordable options, and again, splitting the price among friends is always better.

Boston games are always fun. They are basically sponsored by Dropkick Murphy’s famous song “Shipping Off To Boston,” Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline,” Fenway Franks, draft beer, and souvenirs. They are experiences of a lifetime, where you feel a part of a large community filled with passion and strong excitement. Don’t worry, you don’t need to know every player’s first and last name, sports number, or background like some attendees do to have a good time. It is all about the experience and how you make it. So, make it fun and be safe.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Brook Masse

U Mass Amherst '23

Brook Masse is a Senior at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is majoring in Digital Marketing, Media, and Society and minoring in Psychology. She enjoys taking Communication, Marketing, Sociology, Legal Studies, and Psychology classes. You can find her thrifting, taking a walk, drinking coffee or boba, socializing with friends, or painting when she is not writing.