clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things I Wish I Knew as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Walking through campus as a senior, I can’t help but notice the awe and excitement of the freshman class as they experience their first weeks in college. Half of me wants to switch places with them and start all over again. The other half wants to pull them aside and tell them everything I know.

Looking back on my college years, there are so many things I wish I knew as a freshman. Take it from a senior, these are things that will help you make the most of your college career.

1. Meet everyone on your floor. It’s so important to connect with the people living around you. These will be your go-to people for everything from going to the gym to eating at Pita Pit at 2:00 AM.

You aren’t the only one who is starting college––they are also new and experiencing everything for the first time! Be sure to keep your door open and visit your neighbors. Befriending floor mates only makes for a better year, inside the dorms and out.

2. That being said, your friends may change over the years. And you know what? That’s okay. Friend groups form and sometimes you feel obligated to continue hanging out with the same people. Everyone changes over time, and you will too––it’s completely normal.

I thought people I met freshman year would be my best friends during and after college. It really wasn’t until junior and senior year that I found the people I meshed with best. Looking back, change in my friend group was the best thing that could have happened.

3. Get involved! Although we are here for an education, not all learning has to take place in a classroom. There are hundreds of registered student organizations at UMass. It is so important that you get involved on campus and the community. When you join early, you have more time to be an active member.

Campus is not the only place where you can get involved either; the Amherst community is right around the corner and is always looking for students volunteers. So go out and expand your UMass experience beyond lecture halls.

4. Get off campus.  We are so lucky to go to college in a great town like Amherst. There are dozens of restaurants to try, coffee shops where you can do homework, and boutique stores to find perfect gifts in. Amherst and Northampton are such unique places, and they’re both easy to get to, even if you don’t have a car.

Take advantage of the area. Someday you will look back on all the times you thought, “I wish I had gone there,” and wish you actually had. 

5. Take advantage of the gym. After you’ve eaten out at all the restaurants around town, walk, run or skip on over to the Rec Center. With hundreds of cardio machines, a track, weight machines and dozens of fitness classes each day, you will never get bored at the gym.

Plus, once you get into the groove of going, it won’t seem like a chore. The sooner you go, the better you’ll feel. You also won’t feel guilty about the 4:00AM Domino’s delivery. 

6. The one thing I really wish I had done as a freshman was plan ahead. This doesn’t just apply to the work aspect of school, but the social aspect as well. Good time management skills are invaluable while trying to manage homework, a social life and getting enough sleep (three things that are harder than they sound).

Start planning as soon as you can. This applies to housing when you decide to move off campus, figuring out what classes to take and study abroad (which I highly recommend). Planning ahead and staying organized are crucial for accomplishing everything you want to in your college career. 

Freshman year is one of new experiences, exploration and enjoyment. Take advantage of everything UMass and the community have to offer.  Before you know it, you’ll be a senior wishing you had done half the things you said you would. Good luck and have fun, Collegiettes!

Photo Sources, 1, 234, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst