This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

No one wants to hear the dreaded words, “You’re going to have to go gluten-free.” Those were the words I heard in December of 2019, right before Christmas, AKA a holiday filled with delicious, gluten-heavy meals and desserts. I had been struggling with stomach issues for a while with no relief, and the GI doctor I saw just told me that I looked healthy, so there must be nothing wrong with me. They gave me some probiotics and sent me on my way.

It wasn’t until I was talking with a family member, who had the exact same symptoms as me, that I figured out it was gluten that was causing their pain that, and that gluten was causing my issues as well. Even though I was willing to do whatever it took to feel better, giving up gluten was really hard to grapple with. 

I would argue that the stages of going gluten-free are similar to the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. After all, you are grieving the loss of fluffy breads, your favorite snacks, and decadent baked goods. If you’re currently in the same boat I was in back in 2019, here’s what to expect.

1. Denial

You’re going to deny it. Gluten is the source of my physical and mental agony? Nahhhh. It can’t be. Are we sure it’s not, like… spinach? Should I just try drinking more water? You’ll definitely be running through a similar train of thought as you come to realize your new reality. Pretending it isn’t true isn’t going to make you feel any better physically, though.

2. ANger

The second stage is pure anger. Finding out that they don’t make gluten-free Goldfish, my favorite snack literally ever, was earth-shattering (maybe earth-shattering is a little dramatic, but it still sucks knowing I can’t eat them). I’m still waiting for Pepperidge Farms to answer my incessant Instagram DMs about when they’re going to make GF Goldfish. 

3. BARgaining

Okay… but like… will I feel that horrible if I eat some? Maybe just a little? A bite here and there? Gluten is in pretty much everything, so I probably actually won’t be able to even avoid it. Weighing out the pros and cons of eating gluten will be a common occurrence. The cons will always win, but that might be a lesson you have to learn for yourself.

4. DEPRESSION

This one hits the hardest when you’re around people who can eat gluten. It’s the sadness you feel when the waiter brings out a steaming hot bread basket while you’re checking out the menu and all you can do is watch everyone else enjoy it. It’s realizing that you truly will not be able to carelessly eat some of your most favorite foods again.

5. Acceptance

I promise you this stage will come. With the amount of delicious gluten-free foods that Trader Joe’s has to offer (you simply must try their GF pancake mix), you will begin to have faith again. You will accept your slightly different life, and you will be okay.

Giving up gluten was hard, but physically, I feel worlds better. The temporary craving for the fresh bread basket is just not worth the havoc it will wreak on your body if you eat it. Just trust me.

A picture of gluten-free pumpkin pancake mix
Original photo by Brooke Sagun

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Meghan Buschini

U Mass Amherst '22

Meghan is a Senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Communications with a minor in Sociology. She is a spin instructor and is passionate about mindfulness, meditation, body acceptance and self love. She shares these passions both through her articles and her instagram account @mindfulmeg_