Wellness > Health

Tap it Back: What You Should Know Before Your First Soulcycle Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Soulcycle has become somewhat of a sanctuary for me. Ever since my first ride last Spring, I’ve found myself coming back to the studio again and again. Something about the atmosphere, the people and the workout itself leaves me with a smile that I can’t get rid of. Here are a few things to remember when signing up for your first class!

Wear something that you feel comfortable in. I usually wear leggings and a sports bra. If you prefer more coverage I recommend a fitted tank top or tshirt, so your clothes aren’t getting in the way of your bike. Reach for lightweight, breathable fabrics: you’re going to work up a serious sweat.

Try to hydrate throughout the day: bring a big bottle of water to sip on throughout the class, and remember to keep drinking afterwards. It’s important to take in lots of fluids, especially after a sweaty workout. 

It might be hard to believe, but nobody is judging you. Of course the goal is to move with the beat of the music, and ride with the energy in the room, but don’t feel like you have to follow the instructor to a T. There is power in checking in with yourself and modifying when you need to. 

Remember that this class is for you: Soulcycle has a reputation for being ‘culty’, but I truly think that is because the people who go are so passionate. I remember walking into my first soulcycle class, totally intimidated and not sure if I had it in me. Looking around and seeing experienced riders sporting soulcycle apparel and chatting with the staff, I felt like a bit of an outsider. An hour later, I remember walking out of the studio, sweaty and tired but so happy. I had realized I belonged here just as much as anyone else.

Lastly, know that it’s supposed to be hard…and you can do it. Soulcycle classes are challenging and meant to push you to your limits. There will be a point during class where your mind tells you you’re not cut out for this…that you’re not good enough. Remember that there is a whole room of people rooting for you and believing in you. 

Keep going. I promise you will walk out of that room feeling unstoppable. 

Images: 1, 2, 3

Sarah Dwyer

U Mass Amherst '21

Sarah is a psychology and English double major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and is hoping to become an English teacher. Sarah is a writer, a runner, and a registered yoga teacher. On campus Sarah is a member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority, a member of the UMass chapter of CHAARG, writes articles for the UMass chapter of Hercampus, and teaches yoga classes at the campus recreation center. Look out for Sarah’s posts on mental health, fitness, study abroad, and all things wellness.