This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With springtime just around the corner, it’s time to detox your life and free yourself of the negative energy that holds you back from being your happiest, healthiest you. Let’s face it, times are really tough – I get it. You’ve been through a lot, and there’s a lot of negative energy around. From toxic people to bad habits, here’s how to cleanse your life and break free of the energy that hinders you:

1. Create Boundaries

If you have toxic people in your life, (like a clingy ex, a bad friend, an abusive family member, etc.), then it’s time to set some boundaries. If someone is bad for you, making you feel bad about yourself, hurting you, manipulating you, hindering you from being your best self, or just a horrible person in general, you can decide to either cut them loose or communicate your terms with them. 

Boundaries can be however big or small that you want them to be and can be as simple as declining an invitation. On the other hand, they can involve removing yourself from a harmful situation, or even ending a relationship if necessary. Trust your gut, reach out to trusted loved ones, and determine what’s best for you and your well-being. Know that you are deserving of respect, and you deserve to be treated like the QUEEN that you are!!

Two women sit at a table and talk
Photo by Christina @ wocintechchat.com from Unsplash

2. Ditch the Bad Habits

If you’re on a mission to eliminate negativity in your life, try replacing bad habits with good ones. Bad habits can hurt your physical and mental health in the long run. They can hinder you and keep you from achieving your goals. Instead, try out new habits that are healthy for you to replace the bad ones. For instance, instead of going to bed scrolling through social media, go to bed with a good book. You’re sure to get better sleep, improve your mental health, and wake up feeling more refreshed.

woman in robe and towel wiping face
Photo by Alexey Sokolov from Icons8

3. Spruce Up Your Space

It’s hard to be positive and happy in a cluttered or negative environment. Clear out anything with negative energy, unhealthy associations, and things that make you unhappy or upset. Organize your belongings to avoid stress, anxiety, and depression. Fill your space with things that make you happy, things that bring out your best qualities, and things that drive and inspire you. Surrounding yourself with good, positive things. Eliminating toxic energy will lift your mood, boost your motivation, and improve your overall well-being so that you can achieve your best self.

boho bedroom with plants and macrame
Photo by Timothy Buck from Unsplash

There are lots of ways to detox your life, but these three things will take you far. Clear out the bad, and make room for new, clean, positive energy. By doing this, you can improve your mental and physical health, gain more energy, feel happier and more fulfilled, and so much more! It’s springtime – it’s a time for you to come out of hibernation and bloom into the amazing and wonderful person you are!

Alexandria Faneuf

U Mass Amherst '21

Ali is studying Communication and Journalism major at UMass Amherst. She loves traveling, watching movies, health, fitness, acting, and writing. Ali hopes to inspire, entertain, and motivate others through her writing and content creation. Get to know her better by following her on Instagram @alimorgan413.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst