self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Selena Gomez’s Upcoming Documentary, “My Mind and Me”: Here’s What We Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

At the beginning of September, superstar Selena Gomez shared the news of her upcoming AppleTV+ documentary, My Mind and Me, writing ‘wanna hear a part to my story…’ alongside a clip of a movie theater setting and the documentary’s title on screen. According to the AppleTV+ press release, this “uniquely raw and intimate” documentary spans her six-year journey into a new light. So what could this documentary entail? Let’s talk about it.

It’s no secret that Selena Gomez has had her fair share of struggles throughout the past six years. Since the news broke, many fans have noted that a multitude of big events in Gomez’s life would be covered in this documentary: her battle with lupus and her kidney transplant as treatment, ending her Revival tour early due to mental health struggles, and sharing her bipolar diagnosis, to name a few. 

After being diagnosed with lupus, Gomez has been candid with her health struggles and has used her platform to bring awareness to what many consider an ‘invisible illness’ due to its often hidden symptoms and how difficult it can be to diagnose. Throughout her journey, Gomez has also become a well-known advocate of mental health through groundbreaking initiatives and magazine pieces. Some notable examples are her company, Rare Beauty’s, Mental Health 101 campaign and $100 million Rare Impact Fund for mental health services, her keynote speech at 2020 Teen Vogue Summit about vulnerability, and her chat with VP Kamala Harris about mental health on Instagram Live. Recently, Gomez launched a mental health company, Wondermind, as a platform that “destigmatizes and democratizes mental health” hoping to “be the one-stop shop for all mental fitness.” Her recent business ventures and other public appearances are also anticipated by fans to be covered in this documentary as well.

“My Mind & Me. We don’t get along sometimes and it gets hard to breathe…But I wouldn’t change my life”.

Selena Gomez

The film is set to premiere on November 4 and was directed by Alek Keshishian, who is known for directing Madonna’s 1991 documentary Madonna: Truth or Dare. The piece is considered to be one of the best music documentaries of all time, so Gomez fans are hopeful that My Mind and Me will be as candid and honest as its predecessor — Keshishian even promised: “it would have more integrity than the other docs of late.” As Selena hasn’t opened up in too much detail about the past six years of her life, audiences are eager to hear her insight, especially about the vulnerable moments she hasn’t spoken about often.

On September 20, Selena shared a first look at the project — a montage of clips of her over the years, laughing with friends and family and crying alone in dressing rooms. Writing on Instagram, Gomez captioned the teaser: “My Mind & Me. We don’t get along sometimes and it gets hard to breathe…But I wouldn’t change my life.” 

With about a month until its release, I know I will be on the edge of my seat until release day to see and hear all that Gomez has to offer. Considering how much Selena Gomez has gone through to reach this level of success and peace of mind (no pun intended) in her life, My Mind and Me is sure to be an emotional and insightful piece that will be inspirational to all.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Samira Sayan

U Mass Amherst '23

Samira is the Pinterest Coordinator and a senior honors student at UMass Amherst, majoring in marketing and communications. Some of her passions are pop culture, music, and traveling. When she's not writing, you can find her hanging out with friends, binging her favorite TV series, or teaching/taking a spin class.