Re-Igniting My Passion for Reading: My Goal for 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I have been an avid reader ever since I was a child. I would read an entire book in a single day and always look forward to the next one. I would beg my mom to take me to the bookstore, only to inhale the contents of the book before the day was over. 

As I got older and homework got more intense, I had less time for reading. I had to prioritize other things that took up my time, and reading was moved to the back burner. 

When I reached high school, reading became a large part of my day-to-day life at school. By the time I got home and my homework was done, the last thing I wanted to do was read anymore, even though it was for pleasure. Streaming services became a much larger part of my life. They were easy to access, and I did not have to put much effort into following the storyline of a silly show, whereas, even the thought of reading a book after coming home from school pushed me further into exhaustion.

I started college at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. The time I would otherwise spend making new friends at my new school was instead used to re-engage in my love for reading. Because of my responsibilities, I still wasn’t reading at the pace I used to, but it felt like an improvement either way. Then, as the pace of school picked up and I eventually returned to school in person, my reading pace slowed down again. Eventually, I wasn’t reading for fun at all. Instead, any reading I did was for school.

This past winter break I decided to pick up a book and try to read for fun again. Between January 1 and January 31, I was able to read five books, probably more books than I’d read in all of 2022. I was managing work and other responsibilities, but I was still able to set aside time to read. I found myself looking forward to any sort of free time so that I could continue reading my book. I would bring a book with me when running errands with my mom and when I knew I would have to be waiting somewhere for a while, hoping that I would have some time to continue whatever book I was reading at the time.  

Before returning to school for the spring semester, I made myself a promise to read a little bit every day. Some days I will read for hours, and other days I only have enough time to read a couple of pages. Either way, I am still reading. No matter how many pages I read or how much time I am able to dedicate to reading each day, I am proud of myself for bringing it back into my life. 

Reading has meant so much to me as I have grown, and I think re-establishing this habit is nothing but beneficial to me and my well-being. I have had the chance to remember how special reading was to me in the past while also incorporating my new interests and reading goals. 

I am excited to continue reading in 2023, and I can’t wait to see which books wind up on my selves!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Lucie Daignault

U Mass Amherst '23

Lucie is a fifth-semester member at HerCampus and a senior psychology major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Outside of HerCampus, Lucie is the vice president of the criminology club, a small group leader with CHAARG, and a volunteer with MASSPIRG. She loves writing and is excited to share her ideas and learn from her peers!