Productive Hobbies: What I Do to Fit My Big Three

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Everyone feels like they constantly have to be productive and get things done even if they don’t enjoy them. We are constantly looking for the next thing on our to-do list and we put our own interests to the side. If you have not heard of the big three, they are three hobbies where one keeps you fit, another makes you money, and the last is to keep you creative. It allows you to be productive and get things done while also enjoying what you are doing. Here are what I do to fit my own big three and some other ideas so you can find yours!

Keep fit

My hobby to keep fit is running! While this is not everyone’s cup of tea, I find that running is when I am in my happy place. I can listen to music or a podcast and totally zone out and avoid thinking about everything else going on in life. If running isn’t for you, your hobby could be as easy as going on walks or following yoga videos in your room. If you want to try something new, you could try rock climbing, weight lifting, going on hikes, or even starting dance classes! Other than keeping you in shape, exercise helps you feel better overall and helps your body function better!

Make Money

My hobby to make money is babysitting and I am lucky enough to be able to love what I do. I have always enjoyed spending time with children so babysitting does not even feel like work. I know babysitting is not for everyone, so another hobby I have to make money is investing. While many may not think of investing as a hobby, it is such a great thing to learn young. This is a skill that you can use for the rest of your life. Other hobbies that could make you money are photography, painting or doing crafts and selling your work, or even making videos online including gaming or other content!

Keep Creative

Lastly is my hobby to keep me creative. I found this was the hardest one for me since I have tried a lot. I have read books but always found them too time-consuming during a busy semester. I started different crafts such as painting and knitting but quickly learned that is not in my skill set. I even tried learning a new instrument, but I found out I am not that patient. After many trials and errors, I found that my creative hobby is playing video games. There are so many games where you can create worlds, and personalities, follow storylines and so much more that help me keep working on my creativity. If none of these appeals to you, you can always try learning a new language, start cooking or baking, or even garden and get some yummy foods or beautiful flowers from your work!

Many people put their interests aside to try and be as productive as possible. Making your hobbies productive allows you to enjoy what you do while getting things done!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Chloe Hopkins

U Mass Amherst '23

Chloe is a Senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Mathematics and is getting her minor in Education. Chloe is in the CTEP program at UMass to get her masters in Elementary Education. She loves animals and has her own black lab named Hero at home. Chloe loves to workout, write poetry, and go on hikes.