“Oat My Goodness!” Tasty Tips For Your Morning Oatmeal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

On these chilly, fall, New England mornings, it’s lovely to wake up with a steaming bowl of oatmeal. With 190 calories, 4 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein, what’s not to love? Here are some delicious ways to spice up this classic breakfast food.

Start with cooking your oats in water or milk in your microwave, or on the stove:

Thankful For Breakfast. The pumpkin craze is everywhere! Why not put it in your oatmeal as well? This autumn delight includes:

1. A table spoon of canned pumpkin (available at most grocery stores in season)

2. Peacans

3. A pinch of cinnamon

The Late Night Crave. Hot chocolate season is the absolute best! This idea is simple, appeals to your sweet-tooth, and also makes a great midnight snack. Just add to your oats:

1. A packet of sugar-free hot cocoa mix. (The peppermint flavor is recommended!)

2. A splash of skim, soy, or almond milk

The Hungry Girl. If you’re about to hit the gym, or even if you just wake up hungry, you need a lot of fiber to keep your body full and happy. Apples are cheap, simple, and super tasty! To amp up your oatmeal, add:

1. One apple, cubed.

2. Cinnamon

3. Walnuts

Berry Bonanaza. Berries are sweet, full of flavor, and are full of antioxidants. Kick up that immune system by introducing them to your breakfast routine. Add to your oatmeal:

1. Blueberries

2. Strawberries

3. Blackberries

4. Honey

The Morning Warrior. When you’ve gotten two hours of sleep and need to push through, a great way to energize your body is this yummy breakfast trick. Add to oats:

1. Half a banana

2. Blueberries

3. Ground flax seed

4. A little brown sugar

5. A splash of skim, soy, or almond milk

​Happy eating, Collegiettes!

Annie Gravens

U Mass Amherst

Adelle is an English major at UMass Amherst. She's the co-captain of the UMass Colorguard, and a fitness fanatic.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst