rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

No Fear, Collegiettes! Have a Stress Free Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Valentine’s Day is upon us once again, Collegiettes. It’s that one day a year where we can either spend hours getting all dolled up for that big, yet somewhat disappointing, date or sit on the couch, Ben & Jerry’s in hand, ugly crying while watching The Notebook. We’re either the braggers who talk nonstop about our fantastic, one of a kind significant other, or we’re the listeners who constantly have to physically restrain ourselves from strangling the braggers.

Most of us have probably had our fair share of both. Each year Valentine’s Day is talked up to be the one of the greatest holidays when in reality it proves to be pretty insignificant. It’s the one day a year where guys and girls hold high expectations in hopes of someone confessing their love for them. I don’t know about you, but I’ve always wanted Jake Ryan to show up at my house with a cake like he did for Sam in Sixteen Candles, and let me tell you, that has yet to happen.

We constantly stress out about finding the perfect date and if we finally find one, we stress ourselves out with all of the drama that comes with it. What do you do when you’ve called Pasta e Basta three times and still can’t get a reservation? Why did he give me so much chocolate? Is that a fat joke? Do I look good in this dress? Do you think he likes me? Do you think they made plans? Before you get all worked up, slow down and take a deep breath. It’s not that big of a deal!

We shouldn’t get ourselves nervous or stressed about a Hallmark-created holiday. It shouldn’t be the only designated day for people to show their love for each other, that should happen everyday! We don’t need Valentine’s Day to show who or where we are in life. Single? Big deal. Put on a your best outfit, head to the nearest party and dance your but off with your best friends. Or, if you love being in your PJs, grab your favorite movie, crack open that bottle of wine and order some wings. In a relationship? No worries. Surround yourself with your favorite people and have yourself a bit of fun. Don’t sweat the small stuff, especially on Valentine’s Day, because in the end it’s not worth it. In ten years when we think back on our crazy college years, what we did on Valentine’s Day and whether or not we had a date isn’t going to stand out. 

We don’t need a day dedicated to “finding love” to define us. You’re fabulous without another person telling you so. The unwanted pressure that comes with Valentine’s Day is unnecessary when we have more important things to worry about. So keep that beautiful head high, fill a glass and say cheers, because Valentine’s Day will be over before you know it! 

Hi! I'm Katie and I'm a sophomore at UMass. I'm a Journalism and English major.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst