Wellness

Navigating the Growing Toxicity of Gym Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Going to the gym has become part of my daily routine, as it is for many others. More and more we see people wanting to get involved with the gym and find what works for them, but what a lot of avid gym goers tend to overlook is how hard it can be for people who have never touched a weight to go in there and learn what to do. Gym culture is taking over social media, and the consequences of unrealistic workout plans, health advice, and diets are causing many to feel unwanted in the fitness world. Whether it is counting calories or intense weight lifting schedules, many find themselves stuck in toxic gym culture.

2C2I06hRxr 342lexA P9dRVAlRaCTwdsSwEhssOtWyRzgatV6XKLAfruAzKPP2G641 JSnXjtsnwZ4Ca6HzYPdIO6dlu4mQGKicBncAeodGg4mi1W3la7rc8X3s 9yGywcWG r0

Getting yourself into the gym and trying to copy what you just saw someone else doing is one of the best ways to injure yourself. Exercises that are promoted on social media don’t talk about the negative effects of it and why not every exercise is for everyone. Let’s take the deadlift for example. Possibly the most ineffective lift in the book, deadlifts create an extremely high risk for injury while delivering almost no rewards in terms of muscle growth. While it is preached as an effective “full-body exercise,” studies show that more effective workouts exist for developing both back and leg muscles. What deadlift is effective at is causing injuries for inexperienced lifters. Just the slightest error in form can lead to back injuries such as slipped discs or back sprains. Even with good technique, deadlifting leaves lifters sore for days after, sacrificing the effectiveness of subsequent workouts to perform a lift that does virtually nothing for long-term muscle development.

Gym culture also changed the reason why so many of us workout. Instead of focusing on bettering our health and challenging ourselves, gym culture turns fitness into a competition and a way to judge others. Every person deserves the opportunity to feel safe, accepted and appreciated in the gym. Gym culture hurts many people on their way to feeling better by focusing on insecurities, creating a judgmental atmosphere and excluding anyone who doesn’t look the part. Let’s look at what I like to call gym anxiety: that self-conscious, confidence-vanishing feeling one experiences when faced with an intimidating, embarrassing, or awkward situation at the gym. It involves feelings of fear of being judged based on one’s fitness level and/or uncertainty involving equipment or classes. You’re not alone. Gym anxiety is universally experienced by many exercisers. It does not discriminate between gender, size, strength, or how fit you are.

Instructor and student workout at gym after pandemic reopening. They running on treadmill

Overcoming this can take time and reset your mentality, but when you’re working hard, you won’t have time to compare yourself to others, or to look around and catch them watching you work your butt off. Concentrate on you, and consistently remind yourself of how great you’re doing. If you are in need of a distraction, plug in those headphones and listen to some motivating music, or catch up on the latest episode of your favorite show. When gym anxiety gets the best of you, invite someone you know and trust to work out with you. When you’re with a friend, you feel more relaxed and are able to have fun. Believe in yourself! You are your only competition; comparing yourself to others isn’t going to get you anywhere. Even if people are looking at you, convince yourself that it’s because they admire your motivation and dedication toward reaching your goals. The people that judge others at the gym are the people with the biggest insecurities. It’s important to keep in mind that everyone has started out in your shoes at some point or another, so don’t give in to those feelings of insecurity! Keep your goals in mind, and stick with your fitness plans. Wake up and walk into the gym a few more times, and before you know it, you’ll be just as confident as the people in the front row.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Maura Maguire

U Mass Amherst '24

Maura is a Writer for the University of Massachusetts Amherst Chapter. She is a Sophomore majoring in Kinesiology on the Pre-Medicine Track. When she's not writing articles (or dreaming about being at the beach, buying another pair of converse or eating lemon bars), Maura enjoys running distances or working out.