This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With classes ending, summer is quickly approaching. Although it might not feel like it now, pretty soon we’ll be breaking out our sandals, sunscreen, and smiles. This summer I will be staying in Amherst, so I am planning a few hobbies to keep myself busy. After all, summer really is the time for some self-care and self-reflection!

Gardening

To be honest, I have never been much of a gardener. In fact, keeping houseplants alive is always a challenge of mine. However, this summer I am planning on getting a small pot for herbs like basil, oregano, rosemary, and more. It will be a fun activity and even more rewarding if I can use these herbs in the kitchen.

Cooking

On the topic of working in the kitchen, I am hoping to make some new recipes. I always love cooking but find it difficult during the school year to plan meals, go grocery shopping, cook, and clean when I have lots of school work to do. I am looking forward to having more time in my evenings to make some really good dishes.

Working Out

Summer is a great time for self-care and balancing mental and physical health–which for me means having time to work out. I am a big runner, so I am looking forward to some long runs and getting into shape. I plan on making it fun and maybe running to a place I can go swimming or maybe even get ice cream afterward. Because, although staying fit is part of my self-care routine, so is relaxing!

Practicing the Guitar

During the start of the pandemic, I bought myself a guitar to try to teach myself how to play. It went fairly well, and since I had a lot of time at home I was able to learn a few songs. I still pick it up every so often, but with school and socializing keeping me busy I have less time to really progress. I am hoping this summer to keep practicing and maybe learn a few more songs.

Mindfulness

Over the summer, it is nice to get a little break from classes and feel a little less stressed. It is also a good time to practice strategies to manage stress. After this year, I realized I can sometimes get really stressed from school and don’t handle it well. Some activities I have been practicing to work on this are meditation, journaling, and yoga. This summer, I am hoping to practice these more regularly, even though I might not be as stressed, to prepare me to better handle my emotions during the school year.

I could not be more excited for summer to start. Wearing shorts and t-shirts, getting tan, and not stressing about classes make this season one of the best. Now, with some hobbies planned out, I will be able to keep myself busy on those hot days. But, don’t worry, I will be doing a lot of relaxing too cause that is what summer is all about!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Julia Hershelman

U Mass Amherst '23

Julia is a Senior and this is her fourth semester being a part of Her Campus. She is a Microbiology and French double major. In her free time she loves hanging out with family, going for walks with her dogs, and working out.