My Review of Ariana Grande’s New Album, ‘Positions’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

In this article I will break down every track on Ariana Grandes 6th studio album ‘Positions’. I am not ranking them, but breaking them down in the order they are listed on Spotify. 

Track One: ‘shut up’

This is such a great opening song. It incorporates things that we think we know about her and flips it on us. It also is also mixed with awesome string sounds that kind of balance the fact that she is telling people to ‘shut up’… as she should! 

Track Two: ’34+35′ 

34+35, I am ashamed to admit I immediately checked the math on this one. This was hilarious because I am truly terrible at math. Anyway, this song is both full of innuendo and straight up asking for a good time. I found it funny that they have been able to make a ‘clean’ version of this song. This is honestly one of my favorite tracks on the album. Aside from the sex positive nature, it just has a great vibe. 

Track Three: ‘motive (ft. Doja Cat)’ 

To be honest, I had to listen to this song a couple of times to like it! I really enjoyed Doja’s verses, more so than Ariana’s. 

Track Four: ‘just like magic’

At first listen, this track was not my favorite. However, after a few listens, it is one of my favorites. It is all about manifestation. As someone who kind of buys into that theory, that you attract what you want, I really loved this song. It does feel like magic. She also explains that she is aware of how ‘blessed’ she is even if she manifested it. 

Track Five: ‘off the table (ft. The Weeknd)’

This song is incredibly raw and magical when combined with the vocals of The Weeknd. There’s a bit of call and response throughout the song and I really like that. It is kind of like if ‘Love Me Harder’ grew up. The lyrics are beautiful and when put in the form of a song, it is hard for it to not be in my top 5!

Track Six: ‘six thirty’

This is also one of my favorite tracks. 

Track Seven: ‘safety net (ft. Ty Dolla $ign)’

This is another great collab. I really like how Ty and Ariana sound together. I have not listened to many of Ty Dolla $ign’s music, but he harmonizes really well with Ariana. The lyrics ask for open vulnerability and I think that is a good message when it comes to having a healthy relationship. 

Track Eight: ‘my hair’

I had no idea what this song would be about, but it is really fun and catchy. It has another hidden message about being completely comfortable with her and this new relationship. 

Track Nine: ‘nasty’

‘Nasty’ is another beautifully sung song that features more ‘explicit’ lyrics. Above all it is quite fun and catchy. 

Track Ten: ‘west side’

Ariana paints a lovely picture of this song. It also carries the theme of her being willing and open to a relationship, so long as they can meet her in the middle as well. 

Track Eleven: ‘love language’ 

In this song, Ariana asks her person to share their love language so they can make their relationship work. At the same time, she shares her own. If I did not give a look at the lyrics I do not know if I would like the song that much. 

Track Twelve: ‘positions’

When this track first came out with it, I was obsessed with it. I think the best choice I made was watching the music video first. I recommend that everyone who likes her music does this. 

Track Thirteen: ‘obvious’

This is one of my favorite tracks because it is both catchy, but has some great lyrics too. Ariana famously lacks subtlety in this album as well. 

Track Fourteen: ‘pov’

When I saw this track, like many I assumed it might have a sexual nature. However, it is one of the most surprising songs on the album. It touches your soul. This is the last song on the album and it ends so wholesomely. She just wishes she could see herself, and love herself from another person’s point of view, specifically someone who loves her deeply, flaws and all. 

Definitely check out this album when you can! It feels like some of her previous ones with a new sultry spin. 

Chanel Keenan

U Mass Amherst '21

My name is Chanel! I hope you enjoy this collection of articles. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst