Wellness

My Favorite Meditations To Help Ease The Stress of Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Finals can be the most stressful and anxiety-provoking time of the semester. Burnout can come easily from sitting in the library and just studying for hours. In times of high stress, meditation can be a useful tool to have in your toolkit to help ease your mind. Meditation is not only helpful in times of stress but can also significantly improve mental health and promote calmness in panicked or anxious moments. Practicing the right breathing methods, or downloading apps such as Headspace or Meditopia can be a great way to get started. I have even used meditation to help with falling asleep. 

I remember one day, I was walking to the recreation center to work out. All of a sudden, I disassociated, even though there were a lot of people surrounding me. My heart rate sped up, and my hands got really shaky. I really wasn’t sure how to stop it. I decided to stop where I was and just inhale for three counts and exhale on the fourth. This was a method my health coach had taught me during one of our sessions. My heart rate began to slow down, and I was able to finish walking from my dorm to the rec center. From now on, I really rely on breathing during similar situations.

Although the full version of the Headspace app costs money, the app offers a free basics course and some guided meditations on YouTube. There are 5-10 minute meditations on YouTube, and the ones on the app are shorter if you just want to quickly reset your mind and body during the day.

I also have downloaded the Meditopia app. Although the full version of this app also costs money, there is a free meditation on this app about 20 minutes long, which always puts me to sleep. It has soft waves sounds in the background and really just relaxes you if you are having trouble falling asleep. 

Yoga and stretching are also great ways to unwind if you are feeling overwhelmed. I personally like to do the stretch by MadFit titled “15 min Full Body STRETCH/YOGA for STRESS & ANXIETY Relief.” She does some wonderful stretches that really loosen up your body and relieve anxiety. 

Some other meditations to consider trying include:

Frustrated? Cool Down and Get Peace of Mind with this Quick Meditation

Guided Meditation for Self Love 💗

5-Minute Meditation You Can Do Anywhere

I hope you are also able to set intentions and find your rhythm in breathing to help in anxious moments. Happy meditating!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Harneet Kaur

U Mass Amherst '24

Harneet Kaur is a Senior at UMass Amherst majoring in marketing in the Isenberg School of Management. She is extremely excited to be writing for Her Campus and thinks it's a great way to kick off her time at UMass. Along with writing, she enjoys listening to music, walking her dog, and playing the guitar in her free time.