Wellness

My Everyday Skin Care Routine For Smooth & Healthy Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Maintaining smooth, healthy skin is often hard to do in college with the stress of balancing an ongoing list of assignments, exams, and other extracurricular activities. I have recently found some products that keep my skin feeling soft and healthy, and attached them below! (Every skin type is different; these are some products that I use for my dry and sensitive skin.) 

Alba Botanica Advanced Even Balanced Deep Sea Facial Mask – $4 on Amazon

This face wash has changed my skin’s texture for good. You can buy this on either online from Amazon or at a local Whole Foods Market. This face wash is a scrub, so I only use it once a day so that my skin doesn’t become too oily or more dry than it already is. The texture of the face wash is rough, and acts as a scrub. I got recommended to use a facial scrub after getting a facial done (fancy!) and they suggested it to get rid of future blackheads (icky!). The small, green bottle even says that the face wash “Equalizes pigmentation for an even complexion,” which is exactly what it does. It even has 100% vegetarian ingredients, no parabens, it’s hypo-allergenic, and it’s not tested on animals. 

Face Reality Clearderma Moisturizer – $23 on Face Reality Skincare

Though it’s on the pricier side for many face moisturizers, it’s definitely worth the buy! I buy this straight from their website, at facerealityskincare.com. This is a moisturizer made for acne-prone skin (like many teenagers face the problem of). It’s texture is thicker, and applies smoothly onto the skin. Since it’s thicker than other moisturizers I’ve tried in the past, it really works to smooth out the dry spots of skin on your face (often around my nose or chin area). It’s scented nicely (like the smell of oranges), and it leaves your skin feeling refreshed. I apply this after I wash my face with the scrub, or just during the day if my skin feels dry. 

Mario Badescu Drying Lotion – $17 on the Mario Badescu website

This product is a savior when it comes to acne-prone skin and annoying pimples that just seem to never go away. You can buy this in Sephora, on Amazon, Ulta Beauty, or right from the Mario Badescu website. This is a pink lotion, and it works to dry your pimples almost instantly. I apply it before I go to bed at night, and just leave it on while I sleep. By the time I wake up, my pimple is usually gone just after one night. The only thing I don’t love about the product is that it’s hard to take off, so I usually use a face towel and hot water to wash it off. Otherwise, there is usually a pink spot left on my face so just remember to wash it off the next morning!

A Simple Tip: Drink More Water

It seems simple, but drinking enough water everyday is very important to keep your skin feeling smooth, healthy, and glowing! Buy a reusable water bottle you wouldn’t mind carrying around with you (I prefer a CamelBak, which is about $12) and get to drinking that water. 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Lyla Hyman

U Mass Amherst '21

Lyla is a senior at UMass Amherst. She is studying both Communication and Journalism and is currently a Senior Editor, Multimedia Director, and Twitter Coordinator for HC at UMass Amherst. When she is not busy working, she spends her time writing, singing, reading new books, walking outside, and making matcha lattes. She was born and raised in Boston, MA.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst