This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Starting a fresh school year is something every student can relate too. The feelings are mixed, but are predominantly hopeful in gaining new interests, experiences, and places that they can truly feel connected. At UMass Amherst, there is no “right” or “wrong” group to be associated with. There are so many options that you are able to choose from, whether it’s at the club fair, word of mouth, or finding out just by walking by the club itself. Feeling involved is something that the school year is all about; being a part of a greater community to make new friends and hanging out with the old!

At UMass, sororities and fraternities are a part of the culture, but they are in addition to, not only. I am currently a junior at UMass and I have never felt the pressure to join because I thought I was not gaining enough experience. If you want to join that is simply amazing! It is a great way to meet new people and build bonds that will last. But if you don’t, there are a million different options that can be added to a sorority or something to do on its own!

Her Campus at UMass Amherst has given me the opportunities to feel confident in my writing and explore my creativity in new ways. Through meetings, social events, and study sessions, it’s all the ways you want to be committed to something, but without too much pressure or overwhelming responsibilities. I love being a part of a specific chapter, but knowing that Her Campus is nationwide organization is so rewarding. The connections beyond UMass… and the cute apparel… are endless

Reaching outside of your comfort zone whenever possible and trying something new is something we should never take for granted. My mother has always said, “If it is meant to be, it will be, so make it happen!” The University of Massachusetts Amherst is such an exciting place. You should never feel pressured to join something that quite frankly is not meant for you. Adding or subtracting something from your routine each semester is a great way to identify what is best for you!

College is about exploring new ideas and Her Campus UMass Amherst allows you to challenge the norm by being yourself and speaking about issues that are important to you. There is no pressure that your visions are not creative enough and your views are not disrupted. What you have to say is heard and your voice is strong. Next time you think about joining a new club, try Her Campus or another club that you may have only thought about briefly. This is where you decide where you want to choose who you want to be and what you want to accomplish! Make new friends and never settle! Her Campus was right for me because it was a place where I could involve myself as individual in a larger, friendly environment wanting other girls to thrive! Take your chance!

Sources: 1,2,3

Annie Norton

U Mass Amherst '21

A current sophomore at UMass Amherst who enjoys rom-coms, late night at Berk, and reading a book in her hammock. Follow her on instagram to get to know her even better @annienort0n
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst