This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Self-care: it’s trending, but what exactly is it? You see posts on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest claiming to have the best self-care methods, but they’re all different — so you don’t know where to start. That’s totally normal! There isn’t one correct way to interpret how to treat yourself, because it’s all about you. That’s right: you’re a unique individual with your own wants and needs, no one else! So let me help you dive into the world of self-care in this easy beginner’s guide.

The first thing you may be apprehensive about is the idea of self-care “trending”: how can something you do every day like taking care of yourself become so prominent in our daily social media usage? Well, the difference is that in your day-to-day life, yes, you do take care of yourself. You take care of yourself by eating, going to work or class, socializing with your friends, or watching a show. In our daily lives we go through the motions. Self-care is about the conscious effort you put forth towards your well-being whether it’s physically, emotionally or mentally.

Is self-care selfish?

There are common misconceptions that self-care is selfish. In truth, it’s fundamental for a healthy life. By treating yourself well, you can then, in return, help others by being the best version of yourself.

How can you practice self-care?

As stated before, self-care is not practiced in one specific way. Whatever makes you feel good mentally, physically or emotionally, go for it! There is no wrong way to care for yourself, but it comes down to you knowing what’s best for yourself in the situation. Begin your own practice of self-care simply by going out of your own way once a day. As written by Raphailia Michael MA, a licensed Counselling Psychologist, in Psychology Today, “Good self-care is key to improved mood and reduced anxiety. It’s also key to a good relationship with oneself and others.” As soon as you begin adding self care into your daily routine, you will also be adding a new way to bring your mood up. Self care will also help with relationships with friends and family because with your ‘improved mood’ you will be able to give more to your relationships as a whole–everyone wins!

What are some examples of self care?

Wanting to jumpstart your self care today? There are some great, easy, and basic actions that you can do today to forward yourself with self care. For example, as Raphalilia Michael MA, says in her article there is a basic checklist that includes the most simple of self care activities, but actually doing this tasks can truly improve the way you act, think, and react. Some ideas include getting enough sleep, doing a quick guided meditation found online, finding a laugh in a situation, or eating something that’ll make you feel better in the long run, not the short run (i.e. eating unprocessed vs. processed foods). There are plenty of ways to take self care into your hands and treat yourself! You deserve it, Collegiettes!

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Images: 1, 2, 3

Annie Norton

U Mass Amherst '21

A current sophomore at UMass Amherst who enjoys rom-coms, late night at Berk, and reading a book in her hammock. Follow her on instagram to get to know her even better @annienort0n
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst